Players to watch
By FRANK PASTOR
© St. Petersburg Times
published February 17, 2002
- JEN CLARK, P, CENTRAL: An offensive and defensive threat, the senior is one of those singular talents capable of carrying a team. Able to hit from either side of the plate, she added to a fastball that struck out 129 batters last season.
- SHAUNA DAMPIER, C, CENTRAL: With a rocket arm and lightning-quick release, the senior can dissuade even the fastest runners from stealing. Nine doubles last season narrowly missed going over the fence.
- KIMI OLMSTEAD, SS, HERNANDO: The senior and Colgate signee is the ultimate competitor. Versatile enough to play any position on the field, she batted .438 with 22 RBI and 24 runs scored despite missing five games with an injury.
- TONYA STEVENSON, 1B/OF, HERNANDO: The Leopards' lineup received a power injection when the sophomore (12 RBI last season) transferred from Central. "I think if (coach Ernie Chatman) plays her day in and day out, he's going to get a lot of productivity from her," Central coach Benny Martinez said.
- SPRINGSTEAD'S CAPTAINS: Two years ago, junior pitcher Emily Eicholtz, junior catcher Caitlin DeCristofaro, junior shortstop Diana Eckert and senior second baseman Vicki Albert formed the core of a young lineup. They still do, only now with the benefit of experience.
Back to Hernando County news
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111