St. Petersburg Times Online: Sports

Weather | Sports | Forums | Comics | Classifieds | Calendar | Movies

Turkey's goal in OT ends Senegal's run

Ilhan Mansiz gives his team another shot at Brazil in the semifinals.

Compiled from Times wires

© St. Petersburg Times, published June 23, 2002

Ilhan Mansiz gives his team another shot at Brazil in the semifinals.

OSAKA, Japan -- A colorful rumor had followed Senegal as it reached the quarterfinals.

Special rituals strengthened the team, and magical waters were sprinkled around their goal line to ward off enemy shots.

During 90 minutes of regulation against Turkey, the saves and last-second fizzles began to make some spectators believers.

But after three minutes of overtime, the spell lifted when Umit Davala launched a cross into the penalty area, setting up Ilhan Mansiz, who sent it past Tony Sylva.

The goal gave Turkey a 1-0 victory and its first semifinal berth.

The Turks dived onto each other then bowed before their rooting section. In Turkey, fans streamed out of homes, shops and cafes, singing Champion Turkey, waving flags, dancing, singing and giving each other high-fives.

Moments after the game, though, Turkey's thoughts turned to exacting revenge against Brazil, which beat it 2-1 in its opener on a late, controversial penalty kick.

"We don't care how strong Brazil is," Davala said. "We have many good players."

"Brazil is one of the best teams in this tournament, and everyone knows that and sees that," coach Senol Gunes said. "The first game, we didn't deserve to lose. It was a mistake by the ref. But we have showed our strength in other games. We deserve to be in the semifinals."

Senegal, in its first World Cup, was trying to become the first African team to reach the semifinals.

"It's been an exceptional adventure," coach Bruno Metsu said. "I am very proud a small country like Senegal can come to the World Cup and compete among the best in the world."

Senegal showed little of the spark and creativity that carried it to an upset of France in the opener. It couldn't break down the Turks the way it did Sweden in overtime in the second round partly because of fatigue, mostly because it rarely had possession.

The Turks continued to push forward but couldn't break through in regulation. The final threat before overtime came from Senegal and showed just how worn out it was.

On a counterattack, the ball came to Henri Camara in the middle of the penalty area. Camara, who scored the winner against Sweden, managed only a low shot that Rustu Recber covered.

The loss, though, didn't mean the World Cup wasn't a remarkable experience for Senegal.

"We came here small," said El Hadju Diouf, the African player of the year who was mostly invisible against Turkey. "We left big."

© Copyright, St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved.