Top 5 movies
By Times staff
© St. Petersburg Times
published June 27, 2002
1. Minority Report -- Tom Cruise plays a futuristic cop whose department can predict who will commit murder and arrest them before the fact. Director Steven Spielberg once again proves he's the best science fiction filmmaker ever, even better than his pal, George Lucas.
2. Insomnia -- Al Pacino and Robin Williams play intricate cat-and-mouse games in a moody thriller from director Christopher Nolan, creator of Memento. This one plays it forward, just as effectively.
3. Windtalkers -- Director John Woo's intriguing, intense tale of how the Navajo language was used to encode U.S. communications during World War II only occasionally lapses into cliches.
4. The Sum of All Fears -- The best adaptation of a Tom Clancy novel since The Hunt for Red October, in spite of Ben Affleck's requiring an overhaul of the Jack Ryan role previously played by Alec Baldwin and Harrison Ford.
5. Lilo & Stitch -- A minor treat by Disney animation standards, but this odd coupling of an orphan girl and an alien creature has its moments. This is the second feature-length film produced at Disney's animation studio in Orlando.
Back to Weekend
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111