Hillsborough distric outlook
By Times staff
© St. Petersburg Times
published September 6, 2002
CLASS 6A, DISTRICT 4
1. Sarasota Riverview: Can Rams beat Venice two years in a row? We think so.
2. Venice: 2000 state champ trying to rebound from 3-6 record in 2001.
3. Sarasota: Spoiler? Sarasota was one point away from 2001 district title.
4. Bloomingdale: Bulls face tough district road.
CLASS 5A, DISTRICT 5
1. Lakeland: Dreadnaughts have won 64 of their past 65 regular-season games.
2. Haines City: Hornets looking to beat Dreadnaughts two years in a row.
3. East Bay: Indians surprised everyone last year. Do they have more in the bag?
4. Durant: Cougars coming off first winning season in school history.
5. Riverview: Sharks need to overcome depletion due to graduation.
6. Plant City: Coach Bobo hoping to lead Raiders into contention.
CLASS 5A, DISTRICT 6
1. Chamberlain: State runner-up returns as the class of the district.
2. Hillsborough: Forced to win final game just to make playoffs. Terriers are hungry.
3. King: Surprised many last year with a stunner over Hillsborough. Can Lions do it again?
4. Wharton: Tough district will relegate Wildcats to playoff watchers. Will be a team to watch.
5. Gaither: Five coaches in five years, how do Cowboys cope?
6. Leto: Falcons hoping to rejoin ranks of playoff contenders. Need more numbers.
7. Alonso: Will need to score more than two touchdowns this year. Can Ravens win their first?
CLASS 4A, DISTRICT 8
1. Jefferson: Could be nationally ranked by end of year. First county state title since 1969?
2. Armwood: The Hawks are back. Callahan has his team ready for playoffs again.
3. Plant: Panthers hoping to score an upset and slip into one of the top two spots.
4. Brandon: Eagles have a good arm, great receiver. Can they put the rest together?
5. Tampa Bay Tech: They said coach John Colbert was the Titans' glue. He's gone. Are they?
6. Sickles: Gryphons still struggling but coach O'Brien has them headed in the right direction.
CLASS 3A, DISTRICT 8
1. Jesuit: Always the class of whatever district it's in. Back-to-back region final games.
2. Bradenton Southeast: Once dominant team now looking to get back on top. Look out Tigers.
3. Booker: Having three players booted from team due to robbery is going to hurt.
4. Palmetto: Not as good as Booker and not quite as inexperienced as Robinson.
5. Robinson: Youth will hurt the Knights. Reshard Hicks is a big bright spot. The only one?
6. Blake: New coach Ricky Reynolds has team on track but it will take a while to show.
CLASS 2A, DISTRICT 7
1. CC Catholic: Best team in Pinellas County? Looking to wrest the reins from St. Pete Catholic.
2. SP Catholic: The Chris Davis era is over and the Barons are looking to fill a (big) void.
3. Berkeley Prep: Looking to end a streak of no playoffs that began in 1985.
4. Tampa Catholic: One win in 2000, two in 2001. Can Crusaders continue to improve in '02?
Back to Sports
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111
From the Times sports desk
U.S. Open Tennis
Sampras whips the kid
First Hewitt-Agassi match was a stunner
Davenport and Mauresmo up against Williams wall
On the Net
Tennis sites top NFL in searches
'Canes' DBs face big test
State practice reports
Silence isn't golden for DTs
Loss leads to better days
Beavers cruise to victory
Around the Nation
AL: A-Rod reaches 50 HRs in rout
NL: Four-run first helps Schilling get 22nd win
Streak is nice, but A's want division
Stewart nips Harvick for rare Truck victory
49ers win season opener
Around the NFC
Around the AFC
Sports on TV, Radio
Fox trio of announcers paving way to top spot
Mitchell promotes JV coach
Bears open with victory
New Chiefs, same dreams
Why run when they can fly?
UT ready to honor its best
Daily fishing report
NFL Football preview 2002
Light up the cannons and hold your ears
Gruden's path littered with historic hurdles
League site gives fans what they want
Bucs by the numbers
Kiffin's in charge of the defense, as always
What to bring and what to leave home
Dilger site knocked off-line by Sept. 11
NFC South capsules
Confidence still strong despite loss of talent
So fast, they're scary
Buccaneers defensive capsules
Buccaneers offensive capsules
The Florida Keys
'I am making a guarantee'
Buccaneers at a glance
Bucs: High Hopes
On the road with the Bucs
Team by team breakdown
Dolphins: For the fans
No more excuses for Miami
New NFL stadiums
Jacksonville looking dim without its stars
Jaguars: For the fans
NFL: By the numbers
What they're saying about the Bucs
What they're saying about the Dolphins
What they're saying about the Dolphins
What's past is past for Panthers, unless you hang on for motivation
Panthers: Special teams must keep scoring points
Prep football preview 2002
4A-6 DISTRICT PREVIEW: Defending champ faces tough road
Losing season doesn't sit well with Hawks
Team's continued rise depends on cohesion
Graduation forces Spongers to ''reload''
Barons look forward to tough schedule
New-look Warhawks boast lofty goals
New Pats coach plans plenty of changes
Devils welcome fresh cast of characters
'Canes in playoffs? Not that far-fetched
Explosive Felton to carry Warriors' load
Small Mustangs must rely on experience
Harris looks to measure up in win column
Packers boast new weapon at quarterback
Loaded Spartans have talent to dominate
Crusaders hope to make success a habit
Numbers to give Eagles breathing room
Gladiators trying to stay more grounded
Eagles likely to finally get off the ground
Seniors have Falcons thinking playoffs
Rebels pinning hopes on healthy veterans
Cougars must surmount rugged district
Healthy Marauders pose playoff threat
Nucleus has Tornadoes primed to rebound
Pirates hope confidence is the difference
New coach looking to stretch the field
Big dreams without big heads
You've come a long way baby!
The small things come first for county's newest teams
Hillsborough distric outlook
From the editor:
Team's character, offense are focus
West Preview: Could this be the season the west finally fights back?
Veteran leadership strength of Cougars
This Cowboys coach promises to stay put
Don't be surprised by Indians this time
It's now or never for the Dragons
Potential for title run has Lions' attention
One loss motivates Tigers to improve
Leto's new offense, season hold promise
Reaves ready to put Panthers in spotlight
Rebuilding Raiders must grow up fast
It's Hicks' turn to carry load for Knights
New-look Titans plan to pass first
Too many veterans not to be optimistic
Crusaders continue rebuilding project
Wildcats begin to whisper about playoffs
Last season's woes strengthen Eagles
Ravens' growth will determine success
Last season's stars are tough to replace
Bucs want early wins then trip to playoffs
Nine-game skid shakes team's foundation
Bulls out to end trend of one-win seasons
Depth in trenches crucial for Eagles
Pasco County: For the fans
Playoff losses big motivation for Gators
The word little's a big deal for Mustangs
If Pirates can remain healthy, watch out
This season's schedule bound to have more surprises
New coach, offense give Rams new hope
Juniors out to resurrect Knights' success
Wildcats prepare for tougher challenges
Bulldogs are lacking in numbers, as usual
10 Games to Watch: A week-by-week county primer
10 Questions: Setting the record straight for 2002 ... sort of
Gators begin making big waves
National Signing Day will be a big deal this time around
Bucs sport a new look called the Spread-I
Conference race has new meaning
Offense has promise, defense a concern
Weightman to test reloading Hudson
New Bears coach is all about approach
Hernando: For the Fans
On the Net
Castillo, Leopards ready to break into open
Eagles to take field with winning feeling
Hernando County's college players to watch
Eagles in for rocky start, strong finish
Springstead ready to push Central
Scheme stays same but faces change
Panthers standout isn't very hard to find on field
Pirates bent on dismissing doubters, foes
Panthers have tasted success, want more
Buoyed by experience, athleticism
Tigers have playoff potential if they unite
A whole new offensive ballgame
Citrus County football from A to Z
RaysRays, Kennedy get swept away
Naimoli says deal should help sport
Nash to get out of jail
Up next: Rangers
BucsProductive Saints QB still looking for respect
Lightning forces players into garage
From the wire
From the state sports wire Jacksonville's Spicer placed on IR after leg surgery
FIU-Western Kentucky game postponed because of Jeanne
Brown anxious to face old team for first time
Dolphins' desperate defense readies for Roethlisberger
Former Sarasota lineman sheds tough-guy image with Michigan
Rothstein rejoins Heat as assistant
No. 16 Florida has history on its side against Kentucky
FSU and Clemson QBs both off to slow starts