© St. Petersburg Times, published September 6, 2002
CLASS 6A, DISTRICT 4
1. Sarasota Riverview: Can Rams beat Venice two years in a row? We think so.
2. Venice: 2000 state champ trying to rebound from 3-6 record in 2001.
3. Sarasota: Spoiler? Sarasota was one point away from 2001 district title.
4. Bloomingdale: Bulls face tough district road.
1. Lakeland: Dreadnaughts have won 64 of their past 65 regular-season games.
2. Haines City: Hornets looking to beat Dreadnaughts two years in a row.
3. East Bay: Indians surprised everyone last year. Do they have more in the bag?
4. Durant: Cougars coming off first winning season in school history.
5. Riverview: Sharks need to overcome depletion due to graduation.
6. Plant City: Coach Bobo hoping to lead Raiders into contention.
1. Chamberlain: State runner-up returns as the class of the district.
2. Hillsborough: Forced to win final game just to make playoffs. Terriers are hungry.
3. King: Surprised many last year with a stunner over Hillsborough. Can Lions do it again?
4. Wharton: Tough district will relegate Wildcats to playoff watchers. Will be a team to watch.
5. Gaither: Five coaches in five years, how do Cowboys cope?
6. Leto: Falcons hoping to rejoin ranks of playoff contenders. Need more numbers.
7. Alonso: Will need to score more than two touchdowns this year. Can Ravens win their first?
1. Jefferson: Could be nationally ranked by end of year. First county state title since 1969?
2. Armwood: The Hawks are back. Callahan has his team ready for playoffs again.
3. Plant: Panthers hoping to score an upset and slip into one of the top two spots.
4. Brandon: Eagles have a good arm, great receiver. Can they put the rest together?
5. Tampa Bay Tech: They said coach John Colbert was the Titans' glue. He's gone. Are they?
6. Sickles: Gryphons still struggling but coach O'Brien has them headed in the right direction.
1. Jesuit: Always the class of whatever district it's in. Back-to-back region final games.
2. Bradenton Southeast: Once dominant team now looking to get back on top. Look out Tigers.
3. Booker: Having three players booted from team due to robbery is going to hurt.
4. Palmetto: Not as good as Booker and not quite as inexperienced as Robinson.
5. Robinson: Youth will hurt the Knights. Reshard Hicks is a big bright spot. The only one?
6. Blake: New coach Ricky Reynolds has team on track but it will take a while to show.
1. CC Catholic: Best team in Pinellas County? Looking to wrest the reins from St. Pete Catholic.
2. SP Catholic: The Chris Davis era is over and the Barons are looking to fill a (big) void.
3. Berkeley Prep: Looking to end a streak of no playoffs that began in 1985.
4. Tampa Catholic: One win in 2000, two in 2001. Can Crusaders continue to improve in '02?