St. Petersburg Times Online: News of northern Pinellas County
Place an Ad Calendars Classified Forums Sports Weather
  • City will revisit drainage project
  • Bar owner charged with shooting at couple
  • Dispute delays sewer service
  • Assistant rises to principal at Ridgecrest
  • Detective's win at lottery machine is Dunedin bar's loss
  • Rampaging rooster attacks girl
  • Reeves, Guinand share top spot
  • East meets West and all points in between
  • Pinellas digest

  • Editorial
  • Caruso could have avoided mess

  • Letters
  • No gridlock caused by road work? Please


    printer version

    Bar owner charged with shooting at couple

    Police say the Indian Rocks Beach man broke into a house west of Largo and fired at a couple inside. The suspect and a revolver were found later.

    By LEON M. TUCKER, Times Staff Writer
    © St. Petersburg Times
    published October 4, 2002

    An Indian Rocks Beach bar owner was arrested Thursday morning after Pinellas County sheriff's deputies said he broke into a house and tried to shoot a man and a woman sleeping inside.

    Clarence William Leerdam, 69, of 307 12th Ave. N, Indian Rocks Beach, is being held at the Pinellas County jail on $140,000 bail and faces two counts of attempted homicide as well as one count of attempted burglary.

    According to the sheriff's report, Leerdam -- who owns Whitey's Beach Place, 2405 Gulf Blvd. -- entered the residence at 1763 Clearwater Harbor Drive, while Doreen Delguidice, 42, and Chris Bililis, 46, were sleeping.

    The residence is in the unincorporated area of the county west of Largo.

    The report says Delguidice answered her telephone about 1:15 a.m. but heard only music on the other end.

    She hung up and remained awake for about 30 minutes when she heard a car running in the driveway.

    "A few moments later (Delguidice) heard the sound of the door opening and footsteps," said Sheriff's Office spokesman Sgt. Greg Tita.

    The report said a man Delguidice identified as Leerdam, also known as "Whitey," fired a pistol at her and Bililis.

    According to the arrest affidavits, Bililis was struck once in the hand.

    Tita said Leerdam left but was found later in the area along with a revolver in some nearby bushes.

    Bililis was taken to Morton Plant Hospital where he was being treated Thursday night.

    Both Bililis and Delguidice, reached at the hospital, declined to comment.

    -- Leon M. Tucker can be reached at 445-4167 or

    Back to North Pinellas news
    Back to Top

    © 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
    490 First Avenue South • St. Petersburg, FL 33701 • 727-893-8111
    Special Links
    Mary Jo Melone
    Howard Troxler

    From the Times
    North Pinellas desks