St. Petersburg Times Online: News of northern Pinellas County
Place an Ad Calendars Classified Forums Sports Weather
  • Commission united on fireworks issue
  • Fliers give mobile home dwellers a scare
  • WorkNet contract questioned by state
  • Local football stars sign to set futures in motion
  • New light proposed to slow down drivers
  • Pantry finds new location
  • Tarpon elects commissioner
  • New Tarpon commissioner plans public advisory panel
  • Police reports: 2 teenagers sentenced for attempted robbery
  • Editorial: Clearwater leaders wise to move slowly on beach plan
  • Letters: We must say no to blood money for Belcher Road


    printer version

    Police reports

    2 teenagers sentenced for attempted robbery

    By Times staff writer
    © St. Petersburg Times
    published February 6, 2003

    LARGO -- Two of three teens accused of attempting a November 2001 robbery, which ended with one person shot and another tied up, have pleaded guilty to their charges and have been sentenced to prison time.

    Jared A. Miller and Bobby Lee Osborne, both 19, pleaded guilty last fall to charges of attempted murder and attempted armed robbery. Miller on Monday was sentenced to 10 years in prison, though five years of that sentence was suspended. He also will receive 431 days off his sentence for time he has already served in jail since the incident. His prison sentence will be followed by five years of probation, court records show.

    Osborne was sentenced in January to eight years in prison, though five years of that sentence was suspended. He will receive 401 days off his sentence for time already served, followed by five years of probation. Largo police said Osborne and Miller, along with Jabe Morris, 19, were involved in a Nov. 30, 2001, attempted robbery at Sunchase apartments, 6550 150th Ave. N. Police said the three, who are from Pinellas Park, went to the apartment of an acquaintance, then got into an argument. Police said George Cunningham, now 21, struggled with the three and was shot several times. He survived his injuries. Another person in the apartment was tied up during the incident, police said.

    Morris and Miller were arrested just a few minutes after the shooting. Osborne was arrested four days later. Police also found the handgun used in the shooting buried beneath a mobile home. Morris, who is charged with attempted murder, attempted armed robbery and aggravated assault has entered a not guilty plea. He is being held at the Pinellas County jail in lieu of $500,000 bail and has a pretrial hearing scheduled for Friday. Since their pleas, both Osborne and Miller have given depositions to prosecutors, court records show.

    Armed robber sought in AmSouth robbery

    SAFETY HARBOR -- Detectives were searching Wednesday for a man who held up the AmSouth Bank on Main Street. The man entered the bank, 601 Main St., at about 12:30 p.m., displayed a handgun and demanded money. He took cash and left the bank. No one was injured. The robber is a white man, about 5 feet 10 and 180 to 200 pounds, with a muscular build. He wore a white shirt with blue dots, white jean shorts and dark tennis shoes. He also wore a dark-colored ball cap. Anyone with information about the robbery can call the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office at 582-6200.

    Back to North Pinellas news
    Back to Top

    © 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
    490 First Avenue South • St. Petersburg, FL 33701 • 727-893-8111
    Special Links
    Mary Jo Melone
    Howard Troxler

    From the Times
    North Pinellas desks