Deadlines extended for visitors from Arab nations to registerCompiled from Times wires
© St. Petersburg Times
published February 15, 2003
WASHINGTON -- Deadlines for thousands of male visitors from seven mainly Muslim countries to register with U.S. immigration authorities were extended one month Friday by the Justice Department.
About 15,000 males age 16 or older from Saudi Arabia and Pakistan will have until March 21 to be fingerprinted, photographed and show certain documents at local Immigration and Naturalization Service offices. The previous deadline was Feb. 21.
Another group of about 19,000 from Bangladesh, Indonesia, Egypt, Jordan and Kuwait will have from Feb. 24 to April 25 to register, four weeks beyond the original March 28 deadline.
Two detained at Canada border on bomb suspicion
NIAGARA FALLS, Ontario -- Two men with Pakistani passports were detained at the Canadian border Friday after leaving the United States with what authorities said might be bombmaking materials.
Cpl. Michele Paradis of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said the two walked separately into Canada across the Rainbow Bridge from Niagara Falls, N.Y. They were being questioned by a U.S.-Canadian border enforcement team.
A Hamilton, Ontario, TV station, CHCH, reported border officials seized a bag containing materials including a white powder and wire cutters.
Suspect bag shuts down London terminal briefly
LONDON -- Police evacuated a terminal at Heathrow airport Friday because of a suspect bag, but lifted the alert within 90 minutes in the second major disruption at British airports in two days.
With security at Europe's busiest airport at a high level because of a terrorist threat, police discovered the bag in Terminal 2, which mostly serves European destinations, about 11:20 a.m. and emptied the building.
Officers checked and cleared the bag and allowed passengers to return about 90 minutes later.
Prisoner at U.S. base in Cuba attempts suicide
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Another terror suspect held by the United States at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba tried to hang himself, the 16th attempted suicide there since detentions began last year, the Pentagon said Friday.
Amnesty International has demanded an investigation into the suicide attempts, suggesting harsh interrogations may be to blame. U.S. officials insist the questioning is humane.
New York panel urges revised building codes
NEW YORK -- A task force assigned to evaluate the safety of the city's high-rises after the World Trade Center collapse proposed broad changes in the building code, including a ban on the type of trusses that were used in the 110-story twin towers.
In its report, the task force said the adherence of fireproofing on the lightweight "open web bar" trusses used in the trade center has been called into question by investigations into the collapse.
The group proposed prohibiting the trusses in future buildings more than 75 feet tall until the National Institute of Standards and Technology sets a standard for their use.
It also urged inspectors to make sure fireproofing is not dislodged during renovations.
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111
From the Times wire desk
From the AP