St. Petersburg Times Online: News of Florida
TampaBay.com
Place an Ad Calendars Classified Forums Sports Weather
  • Lucy Morgan: Bureaucrat or lobbyist -- trouble follows her
  • Aging chemical agent lying buried in Florida soil
  • Bush: Kids in courts need guardians
  • GOP hopeful charts a moderate course
  • Bill would cap pay of university presidents

  • From the state wire

  • Hurricane Jeanne appears on track to hit Florida's east coast
  • Rumor mill working overtime after Florida hurricanes
  • Developments associated with Hurricanes Ivan and Jeanne
  • Four killed in Panhandle plane crash were on Ivan charity mission
  • Hurricane Frances caused estimated $4.4 billion in insured damage
  • Disabled want more handicapped-accessible voting machines
  • USF forces administrators to resign over test score changes
  • Man's death at Universal Studios ruled accidental
  • State child welfare workers in Miami fail to do background checks
  • Hurricane Jeanne heads toward southeast U.S. coast
  • Hurricane Jeanne spurs more anxiety for storm-weary Floridians
  • Mistrial declared in case where teen was target of racial "joke"
  • Panhandle utility wants sewer plant moved to higher ground
  • State employee arrested on theft, bribery charges
  • Homestead house fire kills four children, one adult
  • Pierson leader tries to cut off relief to local fern cutters
  • Florida's high court rules Terri's law unconstitutional
  • Jacksonville students punished for putting stripper pole in dorm
  • FEMA handling nearly 600,000 applications for help
  • Man who killed wife, niece, self also killed mother in 1971
  • Producer sues city over lead ball fired by Miami police
  • Tourism suffers across Florida after pummeling by hurricanes
  • Key dates in the life of Terri Schiavo
  • An excerpt from the unanimous ruling in the Schiavo case
  • Four confirmed dead after small plane crash in Panhandle
  • Correction: Disney-Cruise Line story
  • tampabay.com
    Back
    Print story Reuse or republish Subscribe to the Times

    Bush: Kids in courts need guardians

    By KATHRYN WEXLER, Times Staff Writer
    © St. Petersburg Times
    published March 15, 2003

    TAMPA -- In the wake of scathing criticism about Florida's ability to care for its endangered children, Gov. Jeb Bush came to an east Tampa church Friday to underscore the need for more volunteers in the state's Guardian ad Litem program.

    State law entitles children in custody to a volunteer, known as a guardian ad litem. The volunteers represent the children in court and act as a safeguard from overburdened caseworkers and a complex legal system.

    But volunteers are in short supply. There are 44,000 children in some form of state custody and only enough volunteers to supervise about 10 percent of them.

    "There needs to be somebody who thinks 100 percent of the time, 'What's in the best interest of the child?' " Bush told three dozen pastors who gathered at St. John Progressive Missionary Baptist Church.

    Bush was joined by a half-dozen judges, including Chief Justice Harry Lee Anstead.

    "We can't provide a guardian ad litem to 4,000 children (in Hillsborough County)," Anstead said. "That's a disgrace."

    The drive to increase ad litem volunteers is part of a raft of changes to Florida's child welfare services that Bush has promised. The effort is one of many recommendations by a panel he created last year.

    The Rev. Mozella Mitchell of Love of Christ AME Zion Tabernacle in Brandon said only 22 percent of the children in Hillsborough who need one have a guardian ad litem. "The other 78 percent without a voice in court stand a greater chance of being lost in the system," he said.

    Print story Reuse or republish Subscribe to the Times

    Back to State news
    Back to Top

    © 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
    490 First Avenue South • St. Petersburg, FL 33701 • 727-893-8111
     
    Special Links
    Lucy Morgan


    From the Times state desk