[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Back
Print story Subscribe to the Times

A Closer Look: One Hillsborough Church

Brandon Seventh-Day Adventist Church

By CONNIE DREW
© St. Petersburg Times
published March 22, 2003


LOCATION: 1221 W Victoria St. Brandon; 689-8846.

SERVICES: Sabbath School at 9:30 a.m., Worship service at 10:45 a.m. Saturday; Prayer meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday.

LEADERSHIP: Pastor Rafael Fernandez

HISTORY: The church was founded in 1967. There were 77 members dedicated to having a church in Brandon rather than travel to its sister churches in Tampa and Plant City. Services were held at First Presbyterian Church or the estate of Henry Ham, in a large building that was formerly used as a chicken coop. The congregation moved to its present location on Jan. 20, 1970.

MEMBERSHIP: 359

COMMUNITY OUTREACH: A Community Service Department provides help to those in crisis. It also offers vacation Bible school, marital counseling, parenting classes and sponsors a fall festival. It has nursing home and health ministries and a children's soccer team.

NOTABLE: It observes the Seventh Day Sabbath. It believes Saturday to be the Sabbath, a day of rest and worship, a day set aside from all others to honor God.

MISSION: Members follow the guidelines the Bible has provided, not out of obligation but out of willingness and a desire to, as their walk with the Lord becomes closer.

Print story Subscribe to the Times

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Back to Tampa area news
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
  • Morgan Street Jail era at end?
  • In rare event, the Sheriff assists in arrest
  • Iorio meets Scientologists at fundraiser
  • Two store robbery suspects indicted on murder charges
  • A Closer Look: One Hillsborough Church

  •