Brooksville woman dies after smoky kitchen fireBy Times staff writer
© St. Petersburg Times
published March 23, 2003
BROOKSVILLE -- A 71-year-old Brooksville woman was pronounced dead at Brooksville Regional Hospital on Saturday after she tried to extinguish a fire in her kitchen.
The woman who died was identified as Pauline Maggard of 919 Candlebrook Lane, according to Capt. Steve Guckian of the Brooksville Fire Department.
Guckian said the fire, which was reported about 9:20 a.m., did little damage to the townhouse where Maggard lived. But it caused a lot of smoke that may have aggravated a medical condition.
A Hernando County Fire Rescue ambulance was taking Maggard to the hospital when her condition began to rapidly deteriorate, said Capt. Jim Aikman, with the county fire resue.
The state fire marshal is investigating the fire -- routine in cases where a death is involved -- but it appears to be accidental, Guckian said.
© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South St. Petersburg, FL 33701 727-893-8111