St. Petersburg Times Online: News of Florida
TampaBay.com
Place an Ad Calendars Classified Forums Sports Weather
  • Legislature: Legislators give GOP donor exemption
  • Seen any crabs in the mood?
  • In judging Florida, teachers do the salary math
  • Graham jumps into fray over medical cuts
  • Legislature: Senate: Give Glades cleanup 10 more years
  • Orange may vanish from auto tags
  • Legislature: House rejects Bush's bid for revote on bullet train
  • Legislature: Gambling ship operators offer tax deal
  • Legislature: Panel approves hikes in fees, fines
  • Stranded pilot whales improving

  • From the state wire

  • Hurricane Jeanne appears on track to hit Florida's east coast
  • Rumor mill working overtime after Florida hurricanes
  • Developments associated with Hurricanes Ivan and Jeanne
  • Four killed in Panhandle plane crash were on Ivan charity mission
  • Hurricane Frances caused estimated $4.4 billion in insured damage
  • Disabled want more handicapped-accessible voting machines
  • USF forces administrators to resign over test score changes
  • Man's death at Universal Studios ruled accidental
  • State child welfare workers in Miami fail to do background checks
  • Hurricane Jeanne heads toward southeast U.S. coast
  • Hurricane Jeanne spurs more anxiety for storm-weary Floridians
  • Mistrial declared in case where teen was target of racial "joke"
  • Panhandle utility wants sewer plant moved to higher ground
  • State employee arrested on theft, bribery charges
  • Homestead house fire kills four children, one adult
  • Pierson leader tries to cut off relief to local fern cutters
  • Florida's high court rules Terri's law unconstitutional
  • Jacksonville students punished for putting stripper pole in dorm
  • FEMA handling nearly 600,000 applications for help
  • Man who killed wife, niece, self also killed mother in 1971
  • Producer sues city over lead ball fired by Miami police
  • Tourism suffers across Florida after pummeling by hurricanes
  • Key dates in the life of Terri Schiavo
  • An excerpt from the unanimous ruling in the Schiavo case
  • Four confirmed dead after small plane crash in Panhandle
  • Correction: Disney-Cruise Line story
  • tampabay.com
    Back
    Print story Subscribe to the Times

    Orange may vanish from auto tags

    ©Associated Press
    April 23, 2003

    PENSACOLA -- Florida may redesign its standard auto tag, which pictures an orange so pale that critics say it looks more like the peach on Georgia plates, Gov. Jeb Bush and Cabinet members were told Tuesday.

    The tag's five-year issuing interval ends in October and replacements will be considered, said Fred Dickinson, executive director for the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

    "I heard ... that we had a peach that looked like a Georgia tag, and I heard from Georgia residents that theirs looked like an orange," Dickinson said.

    "You heard it here first in Pensacola," Bush said. "If you like the orange, you're going to have to defend it."

    Bush and the three Cabinet members, who jointly oversee several state agencies, held one of their periodic "capital for a day" meetings here. Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson suggested replacing the orange, symbolic of the state's citrus industry, with the recently unveiled design for a Florida quarter. It depicts a space shuttle and sailing vessel.

    Chief Financial Officer Tom Gallagher said schoolchildren should have a contest to create the new tag design. Dickinson said he also leans toward the school contest idea.

    About 90 percent of Florida passenger vehicles bear the orange tag. The other 10 percent carry one of 54 specialty tags.

    Print story Subscribe to the Times

    Back to State news
    Back to Top

    © 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
    490 First Avenue South • St. Petersburg, FL 33701 • 727-893-8111
     
    Special Links
    Lucy Morgan


    From the Times state desk