Four Hernando County athletes will begin competition Friday in the 29th annual USA Wrestling Kids and Cadets Southeast Region Championships in Greenville, S.C.
Conner Ross, 5, Cody Ross, 9, Sean Redman, 9, and Nicholas Soto, 10, received berths by medaling last weekend in the Florida Amateur Wrestling Association State Championship at the Lakeland Center.
Conner Ross captured a state title in the 55-pound pee-wee division. Cody Ross won a silver in the 65-pound midget freestyle and Greco-Roman competitions.
Redman took a silver in 80-pound midget freestyle, and Soto got a bronze in the 65-pound novice freestyle and Greco-Roman.
Coach Chris Soto, a longtime assistant at Springstead High, was not surprised by the performances of his wrestlers.
"We taped the earlier matches when the kids started early in the year," Soto said.
"They were all new except for Sean, but they really worked hard and really advanced their abilities in a short time."
Qualifiers from the South Carolina event will advance to the national championships in Enid, Okla.
Brooksville resident Troy Adams, 20, finished 20th in the final 125cc AMA Supercross Series with 31 points.
Former Hernando High state champion Kelly Lagedrost tied for 51st on May 11 in the Isleta Casino & Resort Futures Golf Classic in Albuquerque, N.M.
Lagedrost, 24, fired a 75-79-74-228 to collect $298. She has $2,231 this year in six events, tying for 54th on the LPGA developmental tour's earnings list.
- Brooksville's Alex Coogan shot an 83 over 18 holes May 17 to win the 13-year-old boys advanced class and Brooksville's Alex Coogan fired an 83 in the advanced 14 division in the North Suncoast Junior Golf Association Tournament at The Dunes.
Other county finishers were Ryan Armstrong, Brooksville, second, 73, and Grey Gonzalez, Spring Hill, third, 74, in boys advanced 16-18; Advaith Rao, Spring Hill, third, 88, advanced 14; Gaby Martinez, Spring Hill, second, 83, advanced 13; Mike Bird, Brooksville, second, 50 (over nine holes), intermediate 13-18; Vone Gonzalez, Spring Hill, third, 59 (nine holes), intermediate 10-12; and Megan Berube, Spring Hill, third, 47 (nine holes), boys and girls 8-9.
- Dave Smerczynski used a 7-wood to ace the 118-yard third hole at Heather Golf on May 17. He parred the course with a 33.
- Spring Hill's Glenn Gabriel fired a 69 to win the gross and super gross events in the National Competitive Golf Tour's May 18 competition at World Woods.
- Barb Fleming shot a plus-12 on May 18 to take the Seven Hills Ladies Golf League points game in the A Flight. Sue Cawood (plus-8) was second.
Jane Szeltner (plus-9) won the B Flight. She was followed by Mary Redfield (plus-8).
Mary Lauria and Helen McGee (plus-3) tied atop the C Flight standings.
Former Hernando catcher Chris Cole and Stetson University were to begin Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament play Wednesday in DeLand.
Cole is batting .297 for the Hatters (36-20), who entered the tourney seeded second and set to face No. 5 Gardner-Webb.
Former Leopards centerfielder Dee Brown, a Collegiate Baseball News Freshman All-American last year, will miss the tournament. UCF (31-25) finished ninth in the 12-team league and only the top six squads reach the postseason.
Brown hit .289 and was third among Golden Knights with 34 RBIs.
- Hernando alum Bronson Arroyo, a right-handed pitcher, is 4-1 and has a 3.69 ERA in eight starts with Pawtucket, the Boston Red Sox Triple-A affiliate.
- Former Leopard Bert Snow has 10 saves but an 8.69 ERA in 141/3 innings for Midland, the Oakland A's Double-A affiliate.