St. Petersburg Times Online: World&Nation
TampaBay.com
Place an Ad Calendars Classified Forums Sports Weather
tampabay.com
Print storySubscribe to the Times

Nation in brief

2 terror charges dismissed

Compiled from Times wires
© St. Petersburg Times
published July 23, 2003

NEW YORK - A judge dismissed the two main terror counts against civil rights lawyer Lynne Stewart and a translator Tuesday, saying charges they conspired to support a terrorism organization were unconstitutionally vague.

U.S. District Judge John G. Koeltl left intact charges that Stewart and two others conspired to defraud the United States and that Stewart made false statements.

Stewart was charged last year with helping deliver messages from her client, Sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman, who is serving a life sentence for conspiring to blow up New York City landmarks and assassinate Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.

Powerball winners claim half of $261.3-million

HARRISBURG, Pa. - The leftover half of a $261.3-million jackpot was claimed by a Pennsylvania couple Tuesday, nearly two weeks after the numbers were drawn.

Scott Calligan, 40, and his wife, Marian, 39, chose a lump sum payment of $73.6-million.

The Calligans bought the winning ticket in their hometown of Cranberry, about 20 miles north of Pittsburgh, and said they were shocked when they won.

"We just sort of looked at the TV and looked at the ticket and looked at the TV and looked at the ticket," Scott Calligan said.

The Calligans consulted with a financial adviser and a lawyer before claiming the prize.

The other half of the jackpot was won by William and Claudia Walkenbach of Hermann, Mo. Trapped coal miners used bad maps, report says

PITTSBURGH - Faulty mine maps were to blame for the flood that trapped nine coal miners underground for 77 hours last summer, state investigators said in a final report Tuesday.

Pennsylvania officials said the accident underscores the need for tighter legislation governing the mapping of abandoned mines and the issuing of mine permits.

Air Force cadets accused of weekend assault

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Two male Air Force Academy cadets are under investigation after two reports of sexual assaults during the weekend.

The academy refused to release any information beyond acknowledging the reports were made.

Back to Top

© 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
490 First Avenue South • St. Petersburg, FL 33701 • 727-893-8111
 
Special Links
Susan Taylor Martin


From the Times wire desk
  • Study: Erase stigma to help mentally ill
  • Winds wipe out rusting landmark
  • Voucher debate holds up Medicare overhaul
  • Kinko's computer saboteur shows public terminal risks
  • At queen's party, teen lacks decorum, pants
  • Israel jails 'James' ossuary case figure
  • Patient may be first to receive a new tongue
  • Alzheimer's gene bank seeks donors
  • Conjoined infants are separated
  • Number of Africans is expected to double

  • Columbia
  • Shuttle mission manager breaks silence with tears

  • Iraq
  • Fierce gunfight kills Hussein's two sons
  • Bush aide takes blame on uranium

  • Nation in brief
  • 2 terror charges dismissed

  • World in brief
  • No one hurt in brief blaze at Eiffel Tower

  • From the AP
    national wire
    From the AP
    world desk