About 112,000 students will return to school Tuesday, about the same number who attended Pinellas schools last year. But this year, because the district's new student assignment plan has made it possible for children to attend schools a greater distance from their homes, thousands more will be riding a bus.
All students who live more than 2 miles from their assigned school, except those attending fundamental schools, are eligible for bus transportation. Families who registered their children before July 3 should have received a postcard in the mail telling them the location of each student's bus stop, the route number of the bus, and the estimated morning pickup and afternoon dropoff times.
Families with questions about bus transportation can call the transportation help line at (727) 547-7174. Or, they can visit an interactive page on the district's Web site, which will allow them to enter a student's address to retrieve bus stop information.
- Click on "Hot News" in the upper left-hand corner.
- Click on the "School bus routes" link.
- Type your street address in the address box. Do not type in your city. If you do, the computer will tell you your address was not found in the database.
- Indicate the grade, from prekindergarten through 12, that your child will be attending.
- Click on the "Process" button. You will be taken to a page that lists all schools in your attendance area that offer the grade level you indicated. In addition to attendance area schools, the page also will list countywide fundamental and magnet schools, alternative schools and exceptional student education centers.
- Click on the school code that corresponds to the school your child will be attending. You will be taken to a page that lists stop time, stop place, distance to the stop from your home, the bus route number and the school's start time. You also will learn what time the bus will arrive back at the stop to drop your child off after school.
- If you want to check bus route information for another grade level, scroll to the bottom of the page, change the grade and click on "Process" again.