WISHFUL FUNDRAISER: Wishing with the Stars, a fundraiser for the Make a Wish Foundation, is scheduled for 6 p.m. Sunday at Springstead High School, 3300 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill. Performers include impressionist Christopher John and singers Bill Castner, Mary Swan, Carla Becker and Mikki Taylor. Tickets are $10. Call 683-1842.
SNAPSHOT OF THE PAST: "Ground Zero," an exhibit of photographs taken by Alex Contreras in New York City on Sept. 11, 2001, will be at the Alfred McKethan Library on the Pasco-Hernando Community College North Campus, 11415 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Brooksville, through Sept. 12. Viewing hours are 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fridays. A reception honoring the photographer will be 6 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday. Admission to the exhibit and the reception are free.
STORYTIME: "Preschool Storytimes" will be offered Saturday at the West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill. "Toddler Time" will be at 10 a.m. for children ages 18 months to 35 months, who must be accompanied by a caregiver. A story time for children 3 to 5 years old will be at 11 a.m. (Caregivers must remain on library premises.) These literature-based programs will include stories, finger plays, crafts and songs. No registration is required, and there is no cost. Seating will be limited. For information, call 540-6391.
TAKE HEART: The HEART Adult Literacy program and the Wal-Mart Supercenter at 13300 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill, will host an event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in honor of Grandparents Day and National Literacy Day. Children and their grandparents (or "adopted" grandparents) will be able to read together. Grandparents will receive free carnations (while supplies last) and there will be giveaways for children. Children ages 7 and older will be able to write an essay about their favorite books; children 6 and younger can draw pictures to be entered in a raffle. Winners - one from each age group - will receive a $25 gift certificate. For information, call the supercenter at 597-3807 or HEART Literacy at 797-7018.
SMALL BANANAS: The Small Bananas Book Corner store will have a used book sale from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday at the East Hernando Branch Library, 31170 Cortez Blvd., Ridge Manor West, in the Sunrise Plaza Shopping Center. Call 583-5342.
HOMETOWN ART: Paintings, artwork, quilts, photography, ceramics and poetry are on display during business hours at the Brooksville City Hall Art Gallery, 201 Howell Ave., downtown Brooksville. The exhibit is free. Call 544-5400.
LAUGHTER THROUGH TEARS: Steel Magnolias, a comedy/drama, continues weekends through Sept. 14 at Angel Cabaret Theatre, 5201 U.S. 19, New Port Richey. Shows are at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 6 p.m. Sundays and at 1:30 p.m. some weekdays and Saturdays (call for details). Doors open two hours before each show for buffet and cash wine and beer bar. Dinner and show, $34.50; show only, $21.95, plus tax and tip. Call (727) 847-0019.
WORLD GOES 'ROUND: The World Goes 'Round, a revue of the music of John Kander and Fred Ebb (Chicago, Cabaret), continues weekends through Sept. 28 at the Show Palace Dinner Theatre, 16128 U.S. 19, Hudson. Shows are at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 3 p.m. Sundays and 1:30 p.m. some Saturdays (call for dates). Doors open two hours before each show for buffet and full cash bar. Dinner and show, $38.50; show only, $27.45, all plus tax and tip. Call toll-free 1-888-655-7469.
ALL THAT JAZZ: The Hernando Jazz Society will have a jam session from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sept. 14 at the SNPJ Hall on County Line Road in Spring Hill. Admission for jazz society members is free; nonmembers, $5. For information, call 666-4842.
- The Nature Coast Festival Singers will have their first rehearsal for the Christmas 2003 season at 7 p.m. Monday at Christ Lutheran Church, 475 W North Ave., Brooksville. The group will perform six choruses from Handel's Messiah, as well as other selections. Concert time and places will be announced later. Music will be available for sale before the rehearsals begin. Group director is Carol Ayer, and Keith Schenck is the accompanist. Call Shirley at 683-4833 or Carol at 754-8739.
- Auditions for The Nutcracker ballet will be Saturday at the Center for Dance, Drama, Music and Martial Arts, Ridge Road Center 6646-48 (corner Ridge Road and Congress), Port Richey. Ages 12 and older will audition at 1:30 p.m.; ages 10 through 12 at 2:15 p.m.; and ages 6 through 9 at 3 p.m. Registration fee is $5. Production will be at 2 and 7 p.m. on Dec. 13 at the Center for the Arts at River Ridge. Rehearsals start the Saturday after auditions.
- Auditions for the November production of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest will be at 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at the Citrus County Art League, 2644 N Annapolis Ave., Hernando in Citrus County. This comedy-drama tells of the clash of wills between a nurse and a patient who pretends madness to get out of prison. The cast calls for 12 males and four females. Call director Fran Barg for information at 746-3424.
- The Citrus Community Concert Choir will have auditions from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday and from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday for all voices for a production of Handel's Messiah. The auditions (and rehearsals) will be at St. Timothy Lutheran Church 1070 N Suncoast Blvd, Crystal River. Rehearsals will begin at 7 p.m. Tuesday. Performance is scheduled for Dec. 14. Call 628-3492 or 212-1746.
- Auditions for the comedy A Partridge in a Pear Tree and the drama Hedda Gabler will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday in the auditorium at the Leepa-Rattner Museum of Art, 600 Klosterman Road, on the Tarpon Springs campus of St. Petersburg College. Roles are available in Partridge for a 20-ish man and woman; production dates are Dec. 18, 19 and 21. Roles are available in Hedda Gabler for men and women ages 30-50; dates for the Avenue Players' productions are Feb. 12-22. Director is Diana Forgione at (727) 372-7651.
- Auditions for the Children's Chorus production of Humperdinck's Hansel and Gretel will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at Tarpon Springs Cultural Center, 101 S Pinellas Ave. (Alt 19), Tarpon Springs. Roles are available for ages 8 through 13. Rehearsals will be Saturdays at 10 a.m. at the Tarpon Springs Performing Arts Center. Production dates are Nov. 8 and 9 at the Palladium Theater in St. Petersburg and Dec. 13 and 14 at the Tarpon Springs Performing Arts Center.
- Auditions for chorus members ages 14 and older for the musical Mame will be at 7 p.m. Sunday at Tarpon Springs Performing Arts Center, 324 Pine St., Tarpon Springs. Production dates are Oct. 30 and 31 and Nov. 1, 2 and 6-9. Director is Dick Poole. Those who audition should bring a resume and piano score for a song they've prepared.