Picks, Week 2
By ROGER MILLS, Times Staff Writer
© St. Petersburg Times
published September 14, 2003
Panthers (1-0) at Bucs (1-0)
- The Panthers spent the offseason getting better and talking trash. The former will help them stay close, the latter will help them lose.
Prediction: Bucs 28, Panthers 10
Dolphins (0-1) at Jets (0-1)
- Sorry Vinny, but after their embarrassment at home, the Dolphins are here to run your 40-year-old legs into the ground. The Jets go 0-2.
Prediction: Dolphins 23, Jets 14
Lions (1-0) at Packers (1-0)
- Finally, Steve Mariucci will get a win against Brett Favre (0-5). Green Bay's porous defense gets shredded by Joey Harrington and company.
Prediction: Lions 28, Packers 17
Redskins (1-0) at Falcons (1-0)
- It'll be an emotional home opener for the Falcons, minus Michael Vick. Let's see, Doug Johnson against his old coach? Advantage Johnson.
Prediction: Falcons 24, Redskins 21
Titans (1-0) at Colts (1-0)
- Tony Dungy has no wins against the Titans, but that should change. The short week could hurt Tennessee. Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison spell doom.
Prediction: Colts 30, Titans 21
Bills (1-0) at Jaguars (0-1)
- The dominant performance in the opener, 31-0 over New England, will prove no fluke. Too much defense for aged Mark Brunell to handle.
Prediction: Bills 21, Jaguars 7
Browns (0-1) at Ravens (0-1)
- Obviously, the Ravens defense isn't what it once was. But it likely is still good enough to torment Kelly Holcomb. Ravens win in low-scoring scrap.
Prediction: Ravens 10, Browns 3
Texans (1-0) at Saints (0-1)
- Did Miami underestimate the Texans, or are they that good. Saints aren't going to find out. They pound it up the middle and win going away.
Prediction: Saints 17, Texans 10
49ers (1-0) at Rams (0-1)
- Marc Bulger is 6-1 as a starter and the Rams have beaten the 49ers four straight times at home. It's an offensive explosion. Edge Rams.
Prediction: Rams 35, 49ers 28
Steelers (1-0) at Chiefs (1-0)
- One game against the Chargers doesn't mean the Chiefs defense, which allowed 399 points last year is fixed. The Steelers win in a close one.
Prediction: Steelers 21, Chiefs 17
Seahawks (1-0) at Cardinals (0-1)
- Considering how they were scorched in the opener, the Cardinals defense couldn't possibly play worse. Not that it matters with Shaun Alexander coming to town.
Prediction: Seahawks 17, Cardinals 10
Broncos (1-0) at Chargers (0-1)
- Denver coach Mike Shanahan is smart, so he'll give the ball to Clinton Portis, early and often, keeping it out of the hands of Jake Plummer.
Prediction: Broncos 20, Chargers 17
Bengals (0-1) at Raiders (0-1)
- It'll take the Bengals about half a season to buy into Marvin Lewis' system. It'll take the veteran Raiders one game to correct flaws. This one's easy.
Prediction: Raiders 20, Bengals 3
Patriots (0-1) at Eagles (0-1)
- The injury to safety Brian Dawkins (out for six weeks) doesn't help the Eagles but they are not likely to drop two straight at their new crib.
Prediction: Eagles 17, Patriots 10
Bears (0-1) at Vikings (1-0)
- You can write this down: Daunte Culpepper will fumble and throw an interception. He'll also light up the Bears for about 300 yards.
Prediction: Vikings 34, Bears 14
Cowboys (0-1) at Giants (1-0)
- This one has a low-scoring defensive battle written all over it. But Giants defense wears down the Cowboys offense by the fourth quarter.
Prediction: Giants 17, Cowboys 10.
MLB acts the bully with Expos
AL: Chisox ride Colon's stamina
NL: Marlins thrill a packed house
Penny injury less serious than feared
BoxingSugar gets sweet win vs. De La Hoya
College football'Canes inconsistent but still cruise to win
Gators shake off doubt, slow start
Clarett expected to stay at OSU
'Canes contain big plays
Freshman Harris out until second trial
Special teams a bit more so
UF By the numbers
UF Game balls
'Noles seek new nonconference foe
Defense makes stand when it counts most
FSU By the numbers
FSU Game balls
Buckeyes extend streak by inches
Wolverines devour Irish
ConferencesBig East: Big third helps Pitt pull away
SEC: Georgia stifles South Carolina
State: UCF needs record day to rally, hold off FAU
Big Ten: Wisconsin stumbles, fumbles away game
Pac-10: Trojans click in all phases
Big 12: Hogs upset 'Horns
C-USA: Golden Eagles punish Tigers' errors
Nation: Air Force finds it can pass, rush
ACC: Boilermakers don't fall short this time
GolfDent's 65 within a stroke of his age
Sorenstam, Pettersen strike a blow at U.S.
Gotta minute?Rocco Baldelli
Horse racingCongaree frozen out in warmup
In briefeBay item has James agitated
MotorsportsM. Schumacher wins F1 pole
NASCAR remains a family business
NFLPicks, Week 2
Same Tuna, different diversion
Things make you go hmmm
OutdoorsDaily fishing report
Preparation vital ahead of a storm
PrepsKotchman, Quick can't catch King's Bowerman
Biladeau never looks back as Jesuit wins
DQ aids Plant girls at relays; Jesuit tops boys
Jesuit's Biladeau runs away with title
King's Bowerman cruises to victory
Lecanto has strong showing
PHU gets best of Seminole
Practice as targets pays as PHU wins at Keswick
SoccerThis won't be a party like it was in 1999
Letters: Ex-Seminole should have been kicked out
RaysRays detect no signs of a Yankees decline
Lou's worst club still inspires hope
In upside, this OF is peerless
BucsHitting the high spots
A shutout as only Rice can see it
Waitress's joke hard for Sapp to swallow
Carolina blueprint should look familiar
Kickin' back with Thomas Jones
Letters: Eagles fans reach the ultimate low
LightningLecavalier, Stillman highlight first day
Success depends on growth