St. Petersburg Times Online: Business

Weather | Sports | Forums | Comics | Classifieds | Calendar | Movies

Apparently unhurt, man dies hours after accident

He refused treatment after the crash at 1:30 a.m. But he did not awaken at 9, when his fiancee tried to rouse him for work.

Published November 30, 2003

NEW PORT RICHEY - Corey Goldrick said he was fine after the wreck Saturday.

The 19-year-old walked away from the accident in Moon Lake about 1:30 a.m. without a scratch, relatives said.

He went home, and about 5 a.m., he went to bed with fiancee Julie Gray, who had been driving the car. About 9 a.m., when Gray tried to wake Goldrick for work, he was dead.

The cause of death was still under investigation Saturday, but Pasco sheriff's Sgt. R.R. Stanley said early indications were that it was related to injuries suffered in the wreck.

"There's lots of things that can happen in a vehicular crash," Stanley said. It is not unusual for people to refuse medical attention after a car wreck, he said. But it can be a dangerous gamble.

Late Saturday, Gray went to a hospital to be thoroughly checked out, said her mother, Brenda Gray.

"I loved him more than anything," said a tearful Julie Gray, 19, who is four months pregnant with the couple's child.

Goldrick had worked full time for Hayes Masonry since graduating from River Ridge High School in 2002, Brenda Gray said.

He was one of four people in a single-car wreck just around the corner from his home at 10029 Poplar St., in Moon Lake.

The Florida Highway Patrol responded to the wreck about 1:30 a.m., Stanley said. No one reported injuries, and there were no charges, he said.

Brenda Gray said Julie was driving the 1998 black Ford Mustang at the time, taking a friend home. Julie told relatives that she had swerved to miss a dog in the road and crashed into a pole. Stanley said the wreck took place on Havana Avenue, between Marley Avenue and Lake Drive.

Paul Desmond, 25, Goldrick's cousin and longtime buddy, said Goldrick appeared fine.

"If I, for one second, thought he needed to go to the hospital, I would have brought him there myself," Desmond said.

Desmond said Goldrick was laughing and had given him a bear hug after returning to the house.

Goldrick and Gray were planning to find out the gender of their child this week. The couple had known grown up together and planned a Jan. 31 wedding.

The family described Goldrick as a hard-working, caring young man.

"He loved my daughter and he worked hard," Brenda Gray said. "My daughter couldn't have picked a better person to love."

© Copyright, St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved.