St. Petersburg Times

Print storySubscribe to the Times

The story, in their words

Published December 14, 2003

Wednesday is the 100th anniversary of Wilbur and Orville Wright's first powered airplane flight at Kitty Hawk, N.C. The feat was duly noted by the nation's press at the time, but the Wrights claimed the account was "incorrect in almost every detail." Here from the archives of Wright State University is their own account, transmitted by the Associated Press on Jan. 5, 1904.

The real facts were as follows:

On the morning of December 17th, between the hours of 10:30 o'clock and noon, four flights were made, two by Orville Wright and two by Wilbur Wright. The starts were all made from a point on the level sand about 200 feet west of our camp, which is located a quarter of a mile north of the Kill Devil sand hill, in Dare County, North Carolina.

The wind at the time of the flights had a velocity of 2 miles an hour at ten o'clock, and 24 miles an hour at noon, as recorded by the anemometer at the Kitty Hawk Weather Bureau Station.

This anemometer is thirty feet from the ground. Ground measurements, made with a hand anemometer at a height of four feet from the ground, showed a velocity of about 22 miles when the first flight was made, and 201/2 miles at the time of the last one.

The flights were directly against the wind. Each time the machine started from the level ground by its own power alone with no assistance from gravity, or any other source whatever.

After a run of about 40 feet along a monorail track, which held the machine eight inches from the ground, it rose from the track and under the direction of the operator, climbed upward on an inclined course until eight or ten feet from the ground was reached, after the course was kept as near horizontal as the wind gusts and the limited skill of the operator would permit.

Into the teeth of a December gale the "Flyer" made its way forward with a speed of ten miles an hour over the ground and 30-35 miles an hour air.

It had previously been decided that for reasons of personal safety these first trials would be made as close to the ground as possible. The height chosen was scarcely sufficient for maneuvering in so gusty a wind and with previous acquaintence with the conduct of the machine and its controlling mechanisms. Consequently the first flight was short.

The succeeding flights rapidly increased in length and at the fourth trial a flight of fifty-nine seconds was made, in which time the machine flew a little more than a half a mile through the air, and a distance of 852 feet over the ground.

The landing was due to a slight error of judgment on the part of the aviator. After passing over a little hummock of sand, in attempting to bring the machine down to the desired height, the operator turned the rudder too far; and the machine downward more quickly than had been expected. Reverse movement of the rudder was a fraction of a second too late to prevent the machine from touching the ground and thus ending the flight. The whole occurence occupied little, if any, more than one second of time.

World and national headlines
  • Testing history
  • EU constitution talks fail over voting system
  • Worldwide flu outbreak likely, scientists warn
  • The story, in their words
  • Critics call for Conn. governor to resign
  • In shadow of deadly nightclub fire, R.I. seeks change in injury laws
  • FBI implements new surveillance rules
  • Drug Florida uses at center of Texas fight
  • Cuba still hot trade zone for U.S. firms
  • Martin to add independent ethics commissioner

  • Election 2004
  • Dean's surge has rivals scrambling

  • Iraq
  • Text of Pres. Bush's speech to nation today
  • Troops Capture Saddam Just Outside His Hometown
  • Her job: Lock up Iraq's bad guys

  • Nation in brief
  • Gunman kills two officers, himself
  • Back to Top

    © 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
    490 First Avenue South • St. Petersburg, FL 33701 • 727-893-8111