St. Petersburg Times

Print storySubscribe to the Times


Shaky lull enfolds Fallujah; 2 die as U.S. copter downed

By Associated Press
Published April 12, 2004

FALLUJAH, Iraq - A fragile cease-fire held between Sunni insurgents and U.S. Marines on Sunday in the besieged city of Fallujah, where Iraqis said more than 600 civilians were killed in the past week. Near Baghdad, gunmen shot down a U.S. attack helicopter, killing two crew members.

Also, the military suggested it is open to a negotiated solution in its showdown with a radical Shiite cleric in the south.

Most of the Iraqis killed in Fallujah in fighting that started last Monday were women, children and elderly, the director of the city hospital, Rafie al-Issawi, told the Associated Press. A U.S. Marine commander disputed that, saying most of the dead were probably insurgents.

Fallujah residents took advantage of the lull in fighting to bury their dead in two soccer fields. One of the fields had rows of freshly dug graves, some marked on headstones as children or with the names of women.

The Fallujah violence spilled over to the nearby western entrance of Baghdad, where gunmen shot down an American AH-64 Apache helicopter. As a team moved in to secure the bodies of the two dead crewmen, a large force of tanks and troops pushed down the highway outside the Iraqi capital, aiming to crush insurgents.

Gunmen have run rampant in the Abu Ghraib district west of Baghdad for three days, attacking fuel convoys, killing a U.S. soldier and two American civilians and kidnapping another American.

The U.S. military on Sunday reported 12 more U.S. soldiers killed in fighting on Friday and Saturday - half of them in Baghdad. The deaths brought to 59 the number of American soldiers killed since the new fronts of violence erupted April 4. Nearly 900 Iraqis have been killed in the same period. At least 663 U.S. soldiers have died in Iraq since the war began in March 2003.

Sporadic battles in Fallujah wounded two Marines, and the bodies of 11 Iraqis were brought to a mosque being used as a clinic. A Marine spokesman said troops responding to Iraqi fire killed "a significant number" of fighters. A Cobra helicopter fired rockets and missiles after it came under ground fire, he said.

But Fallujah was still the quietest it has been since the U.S. offensive began.

Hundreds of Marine reinforcements moved in around Fallujah, joining 1,200 Marines and 900 Iraqis already there. The military has warned it may resume an all-out assault against Sunni insurgents if negotiations focused on extending the cease-fire and restoring police control of the city fall through.

President Bush, attending an Easter Sunday service at a chapel at the U.S. Army base Fort Hood, Texas, braced Americans for the possibility of more casualties in Iraq while saying the U.S.-led mission is just.

"It was a tough week last week and my prayers and thoughts are with those who pay the ultimate price for our security," the president said.

But he said the United States was "open to suggestions" about resolving the siege, referring to negotiations between Iraqi politicians and Fallujah city officials that continued Sunday.

Governing Council members were holding discussions with followers of radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, whose militia rose up in a bloody revolt this week against coalition troops and largely controls three southern cities, Karbala, Kufa and Najaf.

The south was relatively calm, as up to 1.5-million Shiite pilgrims marked al-Arbaeen, one of the holiest days of their religious calendar, in Karbala on Sunday, with Sadr militiamen and other gunmen keeping security in the streets.

U.S. commanders have said they would delay any action against Sadr until after the ceremonies, which ended Sunday. But U.S. officials for the first time suggested they were open to a nonmilitary solution to the confrontation.

U.S. coalition spokesman Dan Senor would not comment on Iraqi talks with Sadr's followers but added, "I would say that our goal is to minimize bloodshed and to head off any sort of conflict."

"We don't see it as a necessary requirement that any military action has to occur in Najaf," Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt told reporters.

U.S. troops retook the city of Kut from Sadr followers in the past three days, in the first major foray in months by the American military into southern Iraq, where U.S. allies have security duties.

But military action to retake the other cities could require fighting near some of Shiite Islam's holiest shrines, raising the possibility of enflaming Shiite anger.

U.S.-allied Iraqi leaders have increasingly expressed anger at the bloodshed in Iraq over the past week, saying the military has used excessive force.

At least five Marines have died in the Fallujah fighting.

The most serious break in Sunday's peace came when a sniper opened fire on U.S. patrol, wounding two Marines, commanders said. In the ensuing gunbattle, at least one insurgent was killed.

"At the moment we're just trying to get the cease-fire in place," L. Paul Bremer, the top U.S. civilian administrator in Iraq, said Sunday on ABC's This Week.

During the lull, Marines distributed food to residents. At least three convoys of food and medicine were brought into the mostly Sunni city, including one organized by Shiite leaders in Baghdad as a sign of unity.

[Last modified April 12, 2004, 01:05:27]

World and national headlines

  • Likud to poll members on pullout
  • Nichols' lawyers hint at wider conspiracy

  • Election 2004
  • Democrats scorn Bush, but will U.S. like Kerry?

  • Haiti
  • Anatomy of a ragtag rebellion

  • Health
  • Ephedra ban starts today - maybe

  • Iraq
  • Helpers in need have own crisis
  • In two nations, captives' kin wait
  • Shaky lull enfolds Fallujah; 2 die as U.S. copter downed

  • Nation in brief
  • Kerry takes communion against a bishop's wish

  • Religion
  • John Paul pleads for rejection of terrorism

  • World in brief
  • Up to 3 dead in Afghan factional fighting
  • Back to Top

    © 2006 • All Rights Reserved • Tampa Bay Times
    490 First Avenue South • St. Petersburg, FL 33701 • 727-893-8111