St. Petersburg Times Online: Business

Weather | Sports | Forums | Comics | Classifieds | Calendar | Movies

Today's the last day to register to vote in primary

Times Staff
Published August 2, 2004

Today is the deadline to register - or change party affiliation - to vote in the Aug. 31 primary.

New registration applications and party change requests must be received or postmarked by today in order to vote in the primary.

The Pinellas County Supervisor of Elections office can be reached at (727) 464-3551. For Hillsborough County, call (813) 272-5850; East Pasco, (352) 521-4302; Central Pasco, (813) 929-1288; West Pasco (727) 847-8162. For Citrus County, call (352) 341-6740; Hernando County, call (352) 754-4125.

Tampa police crackdown includes 48 arrests

Tampa police arrested 48 people Saturday night and early Sunday in Ybor City in the third night of increased police presence in the area.

Those arrested included a juvenile boy accused of attacking a Tampa Tribune photographer July 25. The boy also is charged with attempted armed robbery and car jacking in connection with a July 25 car jacking of a Jeep at Seventh Avenue and 22nd Street.

Twenty-six of the arrests involved alcohol, and 11 were drug-related. Nine involved violence.

Saturday marked the largest number of arrests in Ybor City since the start of the new police policy to heighten law enforcement presence. Police arrested 46 people Thursday night and early Friday morning. The night before, 33 people were arrested.

Crew member rescued after fall from shrimp boat

A shrimp boat crew member from Tampa who fell overboard in the gulf Friday was found alive and well after spending at least a day floating without a life jacket, the Coast Guard said Sunday.

Marcus Allen Butler, 34, fell off the Dreamer II sometime Friday. Crew members of the 66-foot shrimp boat out of Brownsville, Texas, alerted the Coast Guard on Saturday morning when they realized that he was missing.

"It's still under investigation," said Coast Guard Petty Officer Andrew Kendrick.

The crew of another shrimp boat, the Lady Ilda, saw Butler about 8 p.m. Saturday, 60 miles southeast of Freeport, Texas. Butler was transferred soon afterward to the Coast Guard cutter Skipjack, where he was treated for exposure and mild hypothermia, Kendrick said.

"He was in the water for a long period of time and dehydrated from the salt in the water and the sun in the gulf," Kendrick said.

The Skipjack brought Butler ashore in Galveston, Texas, where he was treated by emergency personnel, Kendrick said. The Coast Guard said his condition was stable Sunday.

© Copyright, St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved.