By Compiled by Lyra Solochek
Published October 22, 2004
[Photo: Columbia Pictures]
Stuart Little: Conservatory water
[Photo: Miramax films]
‘Serendipity’: Wollman rink
[Photo: New Line Cinema]
‘Elf’: Heckscher playground
A walk in the park
Here's a partial list, in alphabetical order, of other films that feature at least glimpses of New York's Central Park. Some of the nearly 200 movies are classics, some forgettable and at least two - Balto and Antz - portrayed the park through animation. How many do you recall?
Filmgoers will always have Central Park. A tour of its film locations is an evocation of memory and a promise of unflagging inspiration for the cinematic future.
1. The son of airline tycoon (Mel Gibson) was abducted from the Bethesda Fountain and Terrace.
2. A homeless man (Robin Williams) expressed his personal freedom by sleeping nude in the open air, one of several scenes filmed at the Sheep Meadow.
3. George Peppard learned more about Audrey Hepburn from her abandoned husband at the Naumburg Bandshell.
4. Rick Moranis howled outside the Tavern on the Green dining room, chased by the demonic dog Gozer. Later, a giant Stay Puft marshmallow man terrorized Columbus Circle.
5. Fresh from the North Pole, Buddy (Will Ferrell) engaged in a wild snowball fight among the stone formations by Heckscher Playground.
6. Edward Norton jogged along Jacqueline Onassis Reservoir in a dream involving his long-lost childhood friend, Anna (Jenna Elfman).
7. Treat Williams led a dance troupe of hippies on the Great Lawn in a memorable version of Aquarius.
8. The Wollman Rink gave Jack Nicholson and Art Garfunkel a place to discuss sex.
9. A talking mouse sailed a small boat to victory in a race at Conservatory Water, beating conventionally remote-controlled vessels.
10. Woody Allen and Diane Keaton went people-watching at Bethesda Terrace.
11. Tom Selleck, Ted Danson and Steve Guttenberg spent a daddies' day at Belvedere Castle.
12. Dustin Hoffman, a dad recently separated from his wife, spent quality time with his son (Justin Henry) at Naumburg Bandshell and Central Park Zoo.
13. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan set aside their business differences and fell in love at the Bow Bridge.
14. An alien spaceship invasion (led by Lara Flynn Boyle) began at the North Meadow in the opening sequence.
15. Bruce Willis chased terrorists at Bethesda Fountaing and Terrace.
16. Fate brought Jonathan (John Cusack) and Sara (Kate Beckinsale) back together at the Wollman Rink.
17. Dustin Hoffman went on long-distance runs on the 1.8-mile jogging path around Jacqueline Onassis Reservoir.
18. Charlie Sheen confronted an inside trader at the Sheep Meadow.
19. Meg Ryan, Carrie Fisher and Lisa Jan Persky lunched at the Boathouse Cafe at Loeb Boathouse.
20. Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon exchanged the torch of motherhood at Central Park, including Belvedere Castle.