tampabay.com

11-year-old boy reunited with family

Associated Press
Published January 23, 2005


OCALA - An 11-year-old boy who was taken from his school by a convicted child molester was reunited with his family Saturday while dozens of police officers searched for the suspect in Georgia.

Adam Kirkirt was hugged by his mother, Dorraine Kirkirt, as he emerged from a car with a deputy sheriff and an FBI agent outside the Marion County Sheriff's Office.

Adam entered the building with his mother for a private reunion and then met separately with his father, Ivert Kirkirt, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

The father said his son was surprised by all the attention and looked good after the ordeal.

"He said, "Dad, stop crying,' " Ivert Kirkirt said.

Police officers, meanwhile, continued searching for Frederick Fretz in northwest Georgia.

Fretz, 42, was thought to be on foot and hiding in woods near where the boy was found safe Friday evening, said Emerson police Maj. Mike Powell.

Powell said he had no indication that the boy was molested.

Marion County sheriff's spokeswoman Susan Livoti said searchers had found a makeshift campsite.

Ivert Kirkirt said his son told him he walked up to deputies Friday out of fear that Fretz had gotten lost on one of his trips to a nearby convenience store.

Adam didn't know people were looking for him and thought he was on a camping trip with Fretz, Kirkirt said.

"Adam said he was okay and didn't know what the big deal was," his father said.

Fretz, who had been living with Adam and his father, picked up the boy at Dunnellon Elementary School on Tuesday, police said.

Their drive north ended when their car broke down on an exit ramp off Interstate 75 north of Atlanta.

The discovery of the car Friday morning triggered the search for the two.

Emerson police received a call when Fretz and Adam went to a store to buy a gallon of water and some candy, Powell said.

Adam was found less than 12 hours later, about two miles from the car, police said.

The boy's father said Fretz never told him he had been convicted of sexually assaulting an 11-year-old boy in Pennsylvania in 1991.

Authorities issued an Amber Alert on Wednesday to notify the public and other law enforcement agencies once they learned about the conviction.