Top five movies and upcoming releases
By STEVE PERSALL
Published February 17, 2005
Current movies recommended by the Times:
1. Million Dollar Baby - Clint Eastwood's marvelously detailed film begins as a boxing drama, then turns into something deeper, haunting. His direction and Hilary Swank's performance won Golden Globes, and the film has seven Oscar nominations.
2. Bad Education - Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodovar creates garish film noir from the tale of Catholic schoolboys seeking revenge aginast the priest who molested them.
3. Hotel Rwanda - Don Cheadle earned Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for this true-life story set against genocidal conditions in Africa. Terry George's film was also Globe-nominated for best dramatic film and Sophie Okonedo got a supporting actress Oscar nomination.
4. Tampa Bay Jewish Film Festival - The ninth annual film showcase continues today through Monday at various locations, with Friday off for the sabbath.
5. Uncle Nino and Because of Winn-Dixie - Seperately, they wouldn't make the list. Together, they're a rare pair of simple, wholesome films at once in theaters.
Feb. 25: The Merchant of Venice; Man of the House; Diary of a Mad Black Woman; Born Into Brothels; Cursed
Mar. 4: Be Cool; The Pacifier; The Jacket
Mar. 11: Robots; Hostage
Mar. 18: The Ring 2; Ice Princess; Rory O'Shea Was Here
[Last modified February 16, 2005, 14:57:22]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]