Top five movies and upcoming releases
By STEVE PERSALL
Published March 10, 2005
Current movies recommended by the Times:
1. Gunner Palace - Michael Tucker's uncommonly apolitical view of the Iraq War focuses on soldiers fighting insurgents - and occasional boredom - while living in Uday Hussein's former mansion.
2. Million Dollar Baby - Clint Eastwood's marvelously detailed film begins as a boxing drama, then turns into something deeper, haunting. Winner of four Academy Awards, including best picture, director, actress (Hilary Swank) and supporting actor (Morgan Freeman).
3. The Aviator - Martin Scorsese's biography of eccentric Hollywood and flight mogul Howard Hughes won five Academy Awards, including best supporting actress for Cate Blanchett's portrayal of Katharine Hepburn.
4. Bride and Prejudice - Indian film idol Aishwarya Rai - thought by some to be the most beautiful woman in the world - stars in a Bollywood adaptation of the Jane Austen novel Pride and Prejudice.
5. The Passion Recut - With or without the grisly stuff, Mel Gibson's version of the last hours of Jesus of Nazareth (Jim Caviezel) would still be one of the most compelling biblical films ever made.
March 18: The Upside of Anger; The Ring 2; Ice Princess; Rory O'Shea Was Here
March 24: Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous
March 25: Guess Who; Born Into Brothels
March 30: Beauty Shop
April 1: Sin City
April 8: Fever Pitch; Sahara
April 15: The Amityville Horror; Valiant
April 22: The Interpreter; King's Ransom; A Lot Like Love
April 29: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; XXX: State of the Union
[Last modified March 10, 2005, 10:51:04]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]