St. Petersburg Times Online: Business

Weather | Sports | Forums | Comics | Classifieds | Calendar | Movies

Documents to safeguard

By Times Staff
Published April 17, 2005

If you have to evacuate, you'll want to take necessary and hard-to-replace documents with you. Here's a list of what should be in a waterproof, lockable container you can grab easily.

-- Checkbook, savings account passbook.

-- Safe-deposit-box key.

-- Birth, death and marriage certificates, divorce decree.

-- Will/power of attorney.

-- Social Security card/records.

-- Military records.

-- Medical records (living will or other medical powers).

-- Insurance policies.

-- Insurance cards.

-- Retirement account records.

-- Recent pay stubs, in case you have to document employment to collect benefits.

-- Tax returns.

-- Car titles and registrations.

-- Mortgage deeds or rental agreements.

-- Warranties and receipts.

-- Credit cards.

-- Loan documents.

-- Passports, green cards.

-- Food stamp, WIC or other benefit cards and paperwork.

-- List of important phone numbers (relatives, bank and insurance company).

-- Disc on which you back up computer files just before you shut down the computer and evacuate.

-- Home inventory (on paper, disc or video; you should keep another copy in a safe place, like at work or at the home of a relative out of state).

-- A few family photographs or other memorabilia.

© Copyright, St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved.