tampabay.com

Dolphins cut safety day after DUI arrest

By wire services
Published June 25, 2005


MIAMI - The Dolphins cut Quintin Williams on Friday, just one day after the second-year safety was arrested on DUI and drag racing charges.

At 4 a.m. Thursday, Williams was clocked driving 111 mph on Interstate 595 near the Dolphins practice facility in Davie with teammate Travares Tillman in his passenger seat, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Williams, 22, failed a roadside DUI test and was charged with DUI, racing on a highway and unlawful speeding, Lt. Bill Ferrell said. Williams was released from jail Thursday.

Tillman was allowed to get a ride home with the other driver, Brandy Lynn Richards, and was not arrested. Richards was charged with unlawful speeding and racing on a highway.

On Thursday, when asked whether Williams and Tillman would face any disciplinary action from the team, Dolphins coach Nick Saban indicated that he was not close to making any decisions.

"What do you want me to do, cut the guys? I don't understand what you're asking me," Saban said, responding to the question. "I can't fine a player for this. We're not in the season. I really can't do anything to the players to be honest with you."

Williams was signed last year as an undrafted college free agent out of Wake Forest. He spent the first nine weeks on the practice squad last season and appeared in six games as a reserve. He was credited with four special teams tackles.

Also, Miami waived wide receiver Luther Huggins and tight end Victor Sesay. Both signed as undrafted free agents this offseason.

SEAN TAYLOR TRIAL: Redskins safety Sean Taylor would face a minimum prison sentence of three years if convicted on charges of pointing a gun during a dispute about an all-terrain vehicle.

A trial date was set for Sept. 12, the day after Washington opens its season.

State prosecutors filed charges against the 22-year-old former University of Miami star. He faces a single count of aggravated assault with a firearm and a misdemeanor charge of simple battery, said Michael Greico, assistant state attorney.

Taylor allegedly was among a group of people who got into an armed confrontation June1 over a vehicle the player and his associates believed had been stolen. Another man in the group, Charles Caughman, 19, also faces aggravated assault charges. He is accused of threatening and chasing someone with a baseball bat.

Taylor, the No. 5 overall draft pick in 2004, did not appear in court and has filed a written plea of not guilty.

His attorney, Edward Carhart, said his client hoped to avoid charges after meeting with prosecutors voluntarily and presenting polygraph test results the lawyer said clear Taylor of wrongdoing. Polygraph results usually are not admissible in court.

Greico said the charges involve three victims. He would not comment on the substance of the case but said Taylor faces a maximum prison term of 16 years.

Taylor signed a seven-year, $18-million deal with the Redskins after he was drafted. The team has excused him from further offseason practices and meetings so he can concentrate on his case.

CARDINALS: Quarterback Chris Lewis and cornerback Tyrone Sanders were released.

CHARGERS: Offensive tackle Wesley Britt signed a three-year contract, the third draft pick to agree to terms. Britt was a fifth-round pick from Alabama.

JETS LEASE: New Jersey officials offered to cut the Jets' rent at Giants Stadium to 10 percent of gross ticket sales from 15 percent in return for the team dropping a lawsuit. Jim DeBosh, a spokesman for the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority, which oversees the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, said in a phone interview that no agreement has been reached on the proposal. The Jets sued the New Jersey agency in New York State Supreme Court two years ago, claiming they had been overcharged for rent since 1999. The suit asks for $7.5-million in compensatory damages and a reduction in rent.