A list of famous spots in New Orleans, and how they are faring, though the full extent of the damage won't be known for some time:
THE FRENCH QUARTER: This historic district is full of wrought-iron balconies and ornate colonial architecture, but is also a playground for adults who could roam the streets with cocktails in tow and listen to jazz. The area escaped much of the flooding.
BOURBON STREET: A hedonistic strip in the Quarter bursting with bars like Pat O'Brien's, Molly's on the Market, and Jean Laffite's Blacksmith Shop. The area escaped flooding but remains closed.
CAFE DU MONDE: Established in 1862, this coffee shop on Decatur Street in the French Quarter is best known for its cafe au lait and beignets - crispy, square doughnuts. Still standing.
GALATOIRE'S: Nearly a century old, the tiled and mirrored restaurant is famous for not taking reservations. The tuxedo-clad wait staff served Creole classics like shrimp remoulade and crab meat maison. Also located in the French Quarter. Still standing.
ACME OYSTER HOUSE: Built more than 90 years ago at the gateway to the French Quarter, the menu included raw oysters (pronounced "ersters") and traditional po' boys, or fried oyster sandwiches. On the edge of the Quarter, should have escaped much flooding.
U.S. MINT BUILDING: The building housed Confederate soldiers during the Civil War and produced money for the federal government until 1909. It later became home to jazz and Mardi Gras exhibits and the streetcar immortalized in Tennessee Williams' play A Streetcar Named Desire. The mint is still standing. The fate of the streetcar is unknown.
PRESERVATION HALL: A famed New Orleans jazz club in an unassuming building originally built as a private residence in 1750 and was once a tavern, inn, photo studio and art gallery. Fate unknown; it is in the middle of the Quarter, and should be unaffected unless looters have trashed it.
ST. LOUIS CATHEDRAL: Located in Jackson Square and consecrated in 1794, it was said to be the oldest continuously active cathedral in the country. Still standing.
ST. CHARLES AVENUE IN THE GARDEN DISTRICT: The St. Charles Streetcar ran down the historic street, and the area was shaded by majestic oak trees layered in Spanish moss. Much wind damage; many of the trees were splintered.
COMMANDER'S PALACE: A restaurant built in 1880 in the Garden District, frequented by everyone from wealthy elite to riverboat captains and charlatans. Known for its turtle soup and turquoise-and-white facade, which was partially destroyed.
FAIR GROUNDS: Located in the northeast section of the city, the grounds is best known as the home of the New Orleans Jazz Festival, but is also famous for its racetrack, built in 1852. The roof was torn off.
ST. LOUIS CEMETERY NO. 2: Little is known about the fate of the cemetery, one of the larger cemeteries known as "cities of the dead."