St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message


Former NOW president Molly Yard dead at 93

Associated Press
Published September 22, 2005

PITTSBURGH - Molly Yard, the longtime activist who led the National Organization for Women during the fight over the nomination of Robert Bork to the U.S. Supreme Court, has died. She was 93.

Ms. Yard died Wednesday (Sept. 21, 2005) at Fair Oaks Nursing Home in Pittsburgh, said her son, James Garrett, an assistant U.S. attorney.

Ms. Yard was elected president of NOW in 1987 after nearly a decade on its national staff. She stepped down in late 1991, after suffering a stroke at her office.

She made NOW more visible and worked against Bork, whom the Senate rejected as President Ronald Reagan's high court nominee after a bitter political battle in 1987. She said he might provide a fifth vote to override the high court's 1973 ruling legalizing abortion.

"People's lives are hanging in the balance on this one," she said at the time. "Women, and all the minority groups, the elderly and the disabled, millions of Americans, everything they've worked for today is in jeopardy if this man gets on the court."

"We're fighting for women's individual rights," Ms. Yard said in an 1989 interview. "I feel we are in a battle."

Earlier, she worked for various Democratic candidates, including John F. Kennedy in 1960 and George McGovern in 1972. She became active in NOW in Pittsburgh in 1974 and joined its national staff in 1978.

The daughter of Methodist missionaries, Ms. Yard was born in Shanghai, China, and said later that her father's Chinese friends gave him a brass wash basin to express their sorrow that Yard wasn't a boy.

"I grew up with that whole devaluation of myself because I was female. It's outrageous, and it stays with you all your life," she said.

She moved to Pittsburgh in 1953 after attending Swarthmore College in suburban Philadelphia.

[Last modified September 22, 2005, 01:04:14]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters