London terror attacks
Bomb suspect arrives in London
Published September 23, 2005
LONDON - A suspect in the July 21 bombing attempts on the London transit system was returned to Britain from Italy on Thursday and charged with attempted murder.
Hussain Osman, 27, also faces conspiracy to commit murder and explosives charges in the failed attacks on three subway trains and a bus. He is to appear in a top-security London court today.
The charge sheet alleges that Osman - an Ethiopian national known in Italy as Hamdi Issac - "did attempt to murder passengers on the Transport for London system" on July 21 and "did conspire together with others" to murder travelers.
He is also accused of making or possessing an explosive substance intended to endanger life or cause serious injury and of conspiring to cause explosions.
Three other men have been charged with attempted murder and conspiracy to murder. Ibrahim Muktar Said, 27, Ramzi Mohamed, 23, and Yassin Omar, 24, all of London, are being held awaiting a November court appearance.
Osman, who had been detained in Rome since his arrest there July 29, was flown by chartered jet to Northolt air base in London on Thursday. Officers led the handcuffed suspect to a van, which drove in a police convoy to the high-security Paddington Green station in central London.
British authorities want to prosecute Osman for his alleged role in the attempted bombing at Shepherd's Bush subway station July 21. No one was killed in the attempted attacks that day, which followed the July 7 bombings in London that killed 56 people, including the four bombers.
Through his Italian lawyer, Issac has said the bag he carried onto the subway contained a mixture of flour and a liquid hair product and was meant to scare people rather than kill.
Osman fled to Italy after the failed attacks, and was detained there on an international arrest warrant. He fought extradition, but Italy's highest court on Sept. 13 upheld a lower court's decision to extradite him.
Osman was returned under a new fast-track system of European arrest warrants. Italy joined that system July 28, a day before Osman's arrest, Britain's Home Office said.
[Last modified September 23, 2005, 02:50:29]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]