TAMPA - Twelve hours after the chaotic shootout in a McDonald's parking lot near King High School left three wounded and one King High student dead, Hillsborough sheriff's detectives arrested an 18-year-old Tampa man who they say was identified by witnesses and one of the victims.
Otis Lorenzo Neal, of 3104 E 24th Ave., is charged with the non-fatal shootings of Antonio Harris, 16; Damian Lamar Bowie, 15; and Alexander McKinnie, 19.
He has not been charged in the fatal shooting of Dalshon Walton, a senior at King. But Sheriff David Gee anticipates "more serious charges" will be filed against Neal by the end of today.
"We believe he is the lone gunman, but we're still dealing with ballistics," Gee said. "We want to make sure we get everything lined up with the State Attorney's Office."
Gee said witnesses were at the State Attorney's Office Friday morning giving statements.
"There is a ton of information on the street right now, not all of it reliable. There were a lot of inconsistent statements."
So far, this much is clear: A fist fight, or several, erupted Thursday afternoon among the dozens of teenagers who had gathered at the popular after-school hangout.
Within seconds, one boy pulled a gun and fired multiple shots into the crowd, scattering the teenagers in all directions.
"There was panic, pandemonium, people trying to get out of the way," said Major Robert Shrader. "We were able to get it under control quickly, sending away the people who didn't have information, and holding onto the people we needed to talk to."
Sheriff's officials say that while some of those involved in the incident may have been affiliated with area gangs, but they do not believe the shooting was a planned attack among rival gangs.
No one was at Neal's east Tampa home Thursday morning.
Lorenzo is in the county jail on three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.