St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message

Boy rouses family from fire

There was no smoke detector in the house, but Eugene Thomas, 9, alerted family members when he smelled smoke.

Published December 13, 2005

[Times photo: Stefanie Boyar]
Sosthenna Brown surveys the damage to the home her mother Ellamae Williams, 59, shares with her husband Preston Williams on W. Nassau Street in Tampa. Brown's son, Eugene Thomas, 9, alerted family members to the fire this morning.

TAMPA - A 9-year-old Tampa boy likely saved his grandparents, toddler brother and uncle from serious injury Tuesday, when he roused them out of bed after a fire broke out in his bedroom.

According to Tampa Fire Rescue officials, the fire started after 7:30 a.m. in Eugene Thomas' bedroom, where several items plugged into a power strip caused it to overload and spark. There was no smoke detector in the house, but it wasn't long before Eugene - who was getting ready for school - smelled smoke.

He ran into his grandparents' bedroom and into the living room where his uncle slept, shouting "Fire!"

Then he called 911.

"Without him, they would have died," said Eugene's aunt, 64-year-old Minnie Pearl Harns. "He saved their lives."

The fire swept through the 825-square-foot home, causing at least $80,000 in damage. It destroyed most of Eugene's clothes and his new X-Box 360. But no one was injured.

And that made the Roland Park Elementary and Middle School third-grader a hero in his family's eyes.

"He is a very brave man," said Eugene's grandfather, 82-year-old Preston Williams. "He didn't panic."

[Last modified December 13, 2005, 16:17:38]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters