St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message
 

Police confirm names of three poisoned in Tampa home

By Times Staff Writer
Published February 2, 2006


TAMPA - Sheriff's investigators on Wednesday confirmed the identities of three people who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning this week, after a BMW was left running overnight in the closed garage of a Westchase home.

Richard Lovell, 75, of New Hampshire, died inside the house, 9660 Gretna Green Drive, Hillsborough detectives said.

His wife, Mary Ellen Lovell; and Beverly Loranger, 72, were taken to Shands Hospital in Gainesville for treatment. The Times identified Loranger earlier this week, based on an interview with a family friend.

The Lovells were visiting Loranger, a retired schoolteacher who used to live near them in Hooksett, N.H.

Loranger's son, Keith Loranger, who owns the Gretna Green Drive home, last year gave Loranger the black BMW.

Fire rescue and sheriff's investigators said someone accidentally left the two-door convertible running inside the garage starting about 9 p.m. Sunday. Overexposure to carbon monoxide can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea and death.

A neighbor Monday afternoon saw one of the women wander outside, ill and disoriented. Emergency officials were called. When they arrived after 4 p.m., they found Richard Lovell dead in a guest bedroom and the two women disoriented and overcome by the fumes.

The car's gas tank was empty and some rooms inside the 2,049-square-foot home had carbon monoxide levels 35 times higher than what it would take to set off a carbon monoxide detector. The house did not have a detector.

[Last modified February 17, 2006, 18:24:35]


Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT