St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message

Doctor speaks out about second autopsy

More tests are continuing on Martin Lee Anderson, but a New York doctor said today: "We all agree he did not die of sickle trait."

Published March 14, 2006

[Times photo: Ken Helle]
Gina Jones embraces Dr. Michael Baden after he spoke about his findings from the autopsy he performed on Jones' son, Martin Lee Anderson. From left are attorney Benjamin Crump, Curtis Stokes, vice president of the Hillsborough County NAACP and Without Walls Pastor Randy White.

Go to autopsy interactive


TAMPA - A day after participating in the second autopsy for Martin Lee Anderson, a former New York City chief medical examiner stood with the 14-year-old's parents Tuesday and said definitively that the boy did not die from sickle cell trait or natural causes.

Exactly how he died won't be determined until Hillsborough County Medical Examiner Vernard Adams, who headed the second autopsy, completes more tests. Adams has released no information on what he found during the 12-hour autopsy Monday.

"We all agree he did not die of sickle trait," said Dr. Michael Baden, the New York doctor asked by Martin's family to take part in the second autopsy. "Sickle trait does not harm you."

Bay County Medical Examiner Charles Siebert ruled that Martin died from sickle cell trait and not because of a beating by guards at a Panama City boot camp. Martin's parents disputed that claim, and Gov. Jeb Bush appointed Hillsborough State Attorney Mark Ober to investigate.

"I'm just glad that the truth finally came out," said Gina Jones, Martin's mother. Jones went on to say: "I want the guards and the nurse to be arrested. It's time now." 

On Monday, Hillsborough County State Attorney Mark Ober would only say the investigation will take months to complete. 


[Last modified March 14, 2006, 14:30:31]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters