St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message

Police seek link in drive-by shootings

By Times Staff
Published March 14, 2006

TAMPA - City police were trying late Monday to determine whether three nighttime drive-by shootings were related.

A pedestrian was transported to St. Joseph's Hospital after he was shot in the abdomen by someone in a dark vehicle at 8:36 p.m. near N 34th Street and E Comanche Avenue. Shortly after, 911 dispatchers received reports of similar shootings.

One occurred at 8:46 p.m. at 29th Avenue and 15th Street and another at 10:44 p.m. at Osborne Avenue and 22nd Street. Spokesman Joe Durkin said officers were still seeking information. No arrests had been made. No details about the victim were available.

Motorcyclist in fair condition

A Largo man survived a crash that threw him about 46 feet from his motorcycle Sunday afternoon.

Vincent Jerry Fuoco, 49, is in fair condition at St. Joseph's Hospital, said spokesman Will Darnell. Fuoco wasn't wearing a helmet while riding his 2001 Honda motorcycle in heavy traffic on the Dunedin Causeway at 4 p.m., according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.

Fuoco was driving west when he struck a 1999 blue Ford Taurus driven by Kimberly Joy Gunn, 18, of Clearwater. The Sheriff's Office said Gunn was trying to cross the causeway from the south beach to the north beach. Gunn was cited for failure to yield the right of way.

Man shot by police officer identified

CLEARWATER - A construction worker who completed a domestic abuse intervention program was identified Monday as the man shot and killed by a police detective early Sunday after an encounter in a restaurant parking lot.

Guillermo Nicolas-Rafael, 22, allegedly took out a handgun just before he was shot.

Detective Steven Corrao, 33, was at Jose's Mexican Restaurant at 1:30 a.m. on Drew Street when he saw a white 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis pull into the lot. Hours earlier, Corrao had received an alert to watch for such a car, which was in a road rage incident.

[Last modified March 14, 2006, 00:54:19]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters