Lionel Tate's attorney asks to withdraw from case
By Wire services
Published April 18, 2006
MIAMI - Saying his client refuses to follow his advice, Lionel Tate's lawyer has filed a motion to withdraw as the teen's attorney.
Ellis Rubin would not give specific reasons on Monday for his motion, filed Friday in Broward Circuit Court.
A hearing is scheduled for Thursday in the Tate case. The 19-year-old has pleaded guilty to robbing a pizza delivery man in May at gunpoint, violating terms of probation given him for a plea-bargained second-degree murder conviction in the 1999 beating death of 6-year-old Tiffany Eunick, a neighbor his mother was babysitting, when Tate was 12.
Two other lawyers also have withdrawn from Tate's case. Rubin filed a motion last month asking for Tate to be declared incompetent, based on a letter Tate sent a judge asking to withdraw his guilty plea to robbery.
Aide to return $94,000 taken from legislator
VENICE - State Rep. Nancy Detert said Monday her former treasurer will return $94,000 he took from her campaign account this month.
Randy Maddox had worked for Detert in her Venice mortgage office for the past two years and volunteered as her campaign treasurer. He used the money to travel to South America, Detert said.
Family members persuaded Maddox, 42, to return to the United States and return the money. Maddox's parents said he is bipolar, Detert told the Associated Press. The parents could not be reached.
"I am saddened and disappointed at the unexplained actions of someone whom I considered a valuable employee and trusted friend," Detert said.
Detert, a Republican, is seeking Katherine Harris' House seat. The district includes all of Sarasota County and parts of four others.
[Last modified April 18, 2006, 01:49:20]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]