Trucks seen as possible weapons
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published June 9, 2006
TORONTO - Jailed terror suspects accused of plotting attacks in Canada had been making plans to detonate truck bombs against the stock exchange and the country's spy agency, according to a news report citing court documents.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corp., which obtained the documents filed in the case against 12 men and five teenagers, reported that some of the men allegedly identified possible targets including the Toronto Stock Exchange, an unspecified military installation and the headquarters of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service.
A defense lawyer for one suspect revealed earlier that prosecutors accuse some of the Muslim defendants of plotting to storm Parliament, take politicians hostage and behead them unless Canada withdrew its troops from Afghanistan.
Canadian authorities have released only a terse summary of the charges. More detailed documents, though not officially released, have been obtained by some Canadian news organizations.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police announced Saturday that authorities had foiled a terrorist attack and said 12 men and five teenagers had obtained three tons of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, three times what was used in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing that killed 168 people.
But some police later said that although the suspects had sought to obtain ammonium nitrate, they actually had been delivered a safe substance instead during a sting last Friday. It remained unclear whether the men had obtained the material used in making bombs.
According to court documents cited by the CBC, 20-year-old Zakaria Amara led efforts to buy enough ammonium nitrate through sellers on the Internet to make three truck bombs, and had obtained a remote triggering device that investigators found at his home in Mississauga.
One of the suspects, Steven Vikash Chand - who went by the alias of Abdul Shakur - belonged to a military reservist unit, the Royal Regiment of Canada, police Cmdr. Denise Laviolette said. The CBC said he had received some military training.
The documents also allege that Shareef Abdelhaleen, 30, was helping collect the bomb-making materials, the CBC reported.
[Last modified June 9, 2006, 06:43:20]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]