Man's fake organ is found in drug test

Using the wrong prosthetic device to help him pass a drug test results in misdemeanor charges for a man on parole.

Published July 7, 2006

DADE CITY - They come with a choice of skin colors: white, tan, brown or black.

Athletes have been known to pack one in the suitcase to beat steroid tests. Marijuana magazines, such as High Times, flaunt them on advertisements. The U.S. Congress has held hearings on them.

But when a 31-year-old man tried Monday to use a prosthetic penis to pass a urine test for drugs, he got caught with his pants down.

Ahmed R. Hicks of Zephyrhills is now charged with fraudulent urine testing, a first-degree misdemeanor that could land him with up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Hicks was undergoing the drug test as part of parole procedures related to earlier cocaine-sale charges.

He ran into trouble when a probation officer overseeing the test noticed the device did not match Hicks' dark complexion. Probation officer James F. Yebba noted that the device also "appeared to be detached from his person," a report said.

The devices are no strangers to Pasco police logs. Police have characterized them as a gimmick, and warned anyone tempted to use them that officers do get "up close and personal" during urine analyses to check on the process.

There are several brands, including the "Original Whizzinator" made by Puck Technology of Signal Hill, Calif. Hicks' arrest report said his device was of an unknown brand.

In April 2003, Robert Romano of Hudson got caught using a Whizzinator in a drug test. He later gave the St. Petersburg Times a glowing review of the contraption.

"If you get caught with the Whizzinator, it's your own fault," he said. "It's the best."

But it's not cheap.

The "Original Whizzinator" costs $150.

Dried urine, which can be mixed with water and used with the device, costs another $15 a pop.

In Hicks' case, he told deputies the urine came from his 13-year-old nephew.

Hicks was being held without bail at the Central Pasco Detention Center Wednesday and could not be reached for an interview.