St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message


Florida briefly

Published July 12, 2006

Woman faints getting off Mission: Space at Disney

ORLANDO - A woman fainted and fell as she was getting off the Mission: Space ride at Walt Disney World Monday night, authorities said.

When revived, the 35-year-old woman told rescue workers her arms and hands were tingling, said Deputy Chief Bo Jones of the Reedy Creek Fire Department. She was taken by helicopter to Orlando Regional Medical Center. A theme park worker with the family reported that she was treated and released, Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said Tuesday.

The woman's name was not released.

Mission: Space, which spins and subjects riders to up to twice the force of gravity, was open and working normally Tuesday, Polak said.

In the past 13 months, two riders of Mission: Space have died.

Hiltrud Bluemel, 49, died April 12, a day after going on the ride. A medical report said she died from bleeding of the brain and had suffered from severe high blood pressure.

A 4-year-old Sellersville, Pa., boy, Daudi Bamuwamye, died in June 2005 while riding the attraction. An autopsy found that he died of an irregular heartbeat linked to natural causes.

Former officer acquitted of stealing $3 bowl

TAVARES - A former police officer was acquitted of stealing a bowl valued at $3 that should have been placed in evidence storage.

A jury deliberated about 10 minutes Monday before acquitting Andrew Rutzebeck, a 29-year officer. Rutzebeck was fired from the Lady Lake Police Department after the small turquoise bowl, seized in a November traffic stop, was found in his police car's trunk.

The bowl and its lid spilled out of a woman's backpack when an officer searched her pickup for drugs. A small amount of marijuana and rolling papers were checked into evidence, but the bowl never surfaced.

North Port bans camping, riding of ATVs within city

NORTH PORT - A popular destination for southwest Florida all-terrain vehicle enthusiasts is now off limits.

The North Port City Council voted 4-1 Monday to ban camping and ATV riding in the city. About 100 people protested the vote.

The city of 50,000 has logged 230 ATV complaints so far this year, the Sarasota Herald Tribune reported.

"What this will do is protect our public property and our private property owners," said City Commissioner Barbara Gross.

Police can fine violators between $100 and $1,000.

Skeleton found on air base identified as missing teen

FORT WALTON BEACH - Authorities have identified skeletal remains found on Eglin Air Force Base last month as those of a 17-year-old girl from Mary Esther.

The Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office said Amber Nicole Rohwedder was last seen June 4, two days after her mother reported to the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office that she had run away.

Santa Rosa sheriff's spokesman Scott Haines would not say whether foul play was suspected in her death.

The body was discovered June 21 by Army Ranger students at the Army's Camp Rudder on Eglin Air Force Base.

Clerk held in attack on boy who wouldn't buy yo-yo

FORT PIERCE - A convenience store clerk was arrested and held without bail after he allegedly attacked a boy for not buying a yo-yo.

Amar Shreiteh, 24, is charged with attempted murder and false imprisonment, the Palm Beach Post reported.

Shreiteh was working at the store Monday morning when 14-year-old Jeremius Howard came in with his sister. As the girl selected snacks to buy, Jeremius played with a yo-yo, police said.

After his sister paid for the items, Jeremius put down the toy and started to leave the store. Police said Shreiteh demanded that he pay for the yo-yo, but the boy told him it was already opened and he didn't want it.

Shreiteh then punched the boy, according to police, then pulled him behind the counter and stabbed him on the back of his arm with a butcher knife.

Another clerk, Azzam Sabla, 41, tried to stop Shreiteh and suffered a wound to his forearm. Jeremius was treated and released. Sabla remained hospitalized.


[Last modified July 12, 2006, 01:47:23]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters