By TIME STAFF WRITE
Published August 12, 2006
Get car washed and help Boy Scouts on Aug. 19
SPRING HILL - Boy Scout Troop 433 will have a car wash from 8 a.m. to noon Aug. 19 in the Winn Dixie plaza at Mariner Boulevard and Spring Hill Drive.
Donations will be accepted, which will be used to finance upcoming camping trips and to replace worn-out equipment. For information, call Scoutmaster David Nelson at 683-6204.
Test your wine knowledge at tasting fundraiser
WEEKI WACHEE - Water's Edge will host a wine tasting fundraiser for the Arc Nature Coast from 3 p.m. to closing Sept. 15 at the restaurant, 6024 Cortez Blvd.
For an additional $20 added to their bill, restaurant patrons will be given a survey sheet with the names of six different wines. They will then taste four wines and try to match them to the numbers on the list. Those who name the correct wines will win a gift. Those wishing to participate in the wine tasting can do so only in a designated room with appetizers and the wine.
Funds raised will go to Arc, a nonprofit organization that provides support and services to developmentally disabled Hernando County residents and their families.
Reservations required. Call Water's Edge at 597-3545.
Rehearsals to start soon for Christmas concerts
WEEKI WACHEE - Anyone who can carry a tune is welcome to join the Nature Coast Festival Singers. Rehearsals for the Christmas concerts will be 7 to 9 p.m. Mondays starting Aug. 28 at Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way.
Music will be available for purchase at the first three rehearsals through Sept. 11, after which no new singers can join. Those who have their own copy of Handel's Messiah should bring it along.
The chorus will perform two Christmas concerts this year: 3 p.m. Nov. 26 at Grace Presbyterian Church in Spring Hill, and 3 p.m. Dec. 3 at Nativity Lutheran Church in Weeki Wachee.
The director of the chorus is Carol Ayer and the accompanist is Kathy Hackemer. For information, call Shirley at 597-2235 or Carol at 754-8739.
Summer gun, knife show at fairgrounds Aug. 19-20
BROOKSVILLE - The Hernando Sportsman's Club will host its summer Gun and Knife Show from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 19 and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 20 at the Hernando County Fairgrounds, 6436 S Broad St.
The show will include all types of new, used and antique firearms, knives and related accessories.
Admission is $6, children 16 and younger admitted free when accompanied by an adult. Proceeds will benefit the club's 80-acre recreational and shooting facility off U.S. 19 north of Weeki Wachee within the Chassohowitzka Wildlife Management Area. For information, call 799-3605.
AARP driver's classes scheduled for September
AARP will conduct its Driver Safety Program classes at the following locations in September:
- 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sept. 6 and 13, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital), Spring Hill. Call 666-9916 to register.
- Noon to 4 p.m. Sept. 8 and 11, Brooksville Enrichment Center, 670 S Broad St., Brooksville. Call 232-5609 to register.
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 15 and 22, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call 797-0738 to register.
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 18 and 19, West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill. Call 797-7497 to register.
- Noon to 4 p.m. Sept. 19 and 21, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call 232-5609 to register.
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 20 and 27, Spring Hill Enrichment Center. Call 232-5609 to register.
- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 30, Brookridge clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., west of Brooksville. Call 666-4044 to register.
The course, open to anyone 50 and older, costs $10. Upon completion, participants will receive a certificate to submit to their insurance company for a possible rate reduction. Class sizes are limited. Call to register.
Dance to the big band sounds of the '40s and '50s
SPRING HILL - A dance with the Frankie Dee New York Orchestra will be from 2 to 5 p.m. Aug. 20 at VFW Post 10209, 15166 Spring Hill Drive.
The 20-piece big band will perform tunes by the legendary bandleaders of the 1940s and '50s.
Admission is $7 per person. Food will be available for purchase. For reservations, call 686-0695. For directions, call the post at 796-0398.
Ladies turn trash into treasure at annual sale
BROOKSVILLE - The Ladies of the Brooksville Elks will host their annual Trash and Treasure Sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 19 at the lodge, 14494 Cortez Blvd. This will be an indoor sale.
All proceeds will benefit the scholarship fund. For information, call Doris at 796-9784.
Band to perform during auxiliary pig roast Aug. 19
BROOKSVILLE - VFW Post 8713 and Ladies Auxiliary will host a pig roast at 2 p.m. Aug. 19 at the post, 1681 E Jefferson St.
Admission is $5. The Country Pride Band will perform from 2 to 5 p.m.
For information, call the post at 796-4449.
Favorites of '60s, '80s are on tap for dinner dance
HERNANDO BEACH - A Nostalgia Dinner Dance featuring the Vintage duo Nick and Rusty will be Aug. 25 at the Hernando Beach Club, 3145 Flamingo Blvd. They will perform favorites from the '60s through '80s.
Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and a roast beef dinner will be served at 6:30 p.m. Dancing will begin at 7.
The cost is $12 for members, $14 for non-members. The cost is $8 for dancing only (admission at 7 p.m.).
Reservations required. Call Bunni at 688-4976.
Learn how to protect home from hurricanes at expo
BROOKSVILLE - Holt Construction Services will host a Hurricane Expo from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 26 at the Jerome Brown Community Center, 99 Jerome Brown Place, off Darby Lane.
Information on hurricanes and their hazards, as well as how to prepare and protect your home and family, will be available. There will be various exhibitors, such as the Red Cross, Hernando County CERT Team and AAA Insurance. Food and drinks will be provided by Dairy Queen Grill and Chill, and music and prizes provided by True Oldies 106.3-FM radio station.For information, call Michelle at 596-8406 or e-mail email@example.com.
Botanist park ranger to speak about pine gum
BROOKSVILLE - The quarterly meeting of the Old Hernando History Roundtable will be at 11:30 a.m. Thursday at Country Kitchen, 20133 Cortez Blvd.
Botanist and park ranger Sid Taylor will speak about the historical and contemporary uses of pine gum and its derivatives. For information, call Roger Landers at 796-5420.
Arc needs sponsors for annual camp out
The Arc Nature Coast is seeking sponsors for its annual camp out Oct. 25 to 27 at Lakewood Retreat in southeastern Hernando County.
All levels of sponsorship are appreciated.
Four separate donations of $12 will provide kettle corn for all campers; $35 will pay for a hay ride (two are needed), $40 will pay for one day camper and $150 will pay for an overnight camper for the entire event.
Sponsor names will appear on camp-out T-shirts. For information, call Nancy at 544-2322, ext. 109.
Elks lodge planning various upcoming celebrations
HUDSON - Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520 will host the following upcoming events at the lodge, 9135 Denton Ave.
- Labor Day celebration, Sept. 4. Food will be served starting at 3 p.m. and will include barbecue pork, sliced pork, baked beans, corn on the cob, potato salad and cole slaw. Music will be provided by Marty and the Nice Guys from 3 to 7 p.m. Karaoke with Annie Roo Roo will start at 7 p.m. Tickets are $6. Call (727) 863-2520, ext. 20.
- 32nd Anniversary Celebration/Dave Luikart Day on Sept. 16. A prime rib dinner will be served at 6 p.m. and music provided by the Bendys at 7. Tickets are $15. For reservations, call Judy at (727) 863-2520, ext. 14.
- Oktoberfest, Oct. 7. Authentic German food will be served at 6 p.m. with German music by Alpen Diamante to follow. Tickets are $15. Call Judy at the number above.
- New Year's Eve celebration, Dec. 31. Reservations are being taken now. The cost is $50 per person, which includes a prime rib dinner, beverages, breakfast at 1 a.m., hats and favors. There will be music for dancing. Call Judy at (727) 863-2520, ext. 14.
Bowlers needed for mixed league; meeting is Aug. 22
SPRING HILL - The Knights of Columbus, St. Jude Council, is seeking bowlers for its mixed bowling league. Single bowlers or teams are needed.
Membership in the Knights of Columbus is not required.
A meeting will be at 11 a.m. Aug. 22 at Spring Hill Lanes, 3447 Commercial Way. Bowling will be at 11 a.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 29 through May 8.
For information, call Pasquale Cornacchioli at 684-1676, Dan Contesti at 686-7145 or Jim Santore at 666-8697.
Harley-Davidson raffle to help the visually impaired
The Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind is raffling off a new 2006 Harley-Davidson Softail motorcycle. Tickets are $50 each; tickets sales are limited to 500.
The Harley will be raffled at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 14 at the annual Cote River Bike Fest in downtown New Port Richey. The winner does not have to be present at the event.
All proceeds will benefit the Lighthouse, a nonprofit organization that provides free services to the visually impaired and blind. The Lighthouse facility is at 6492 California St., Brooksville. For information, call Dawn at 754-1132.