SEMINOLE - The city's Recreation Division is starting its annual kids' night out program for children in grades K-5 beginning Sept. 1.
The kids' nights are scheduled for the first Friday of each month, from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., at the Holland G. Mangum Recreation Complex, 9100 113th St. N. The event offers parents a chance to get out and kids a chance to play.
The first event, called "Freaky Friday," will feature a back-to-school theme and a pool party. The cost is $10 per child, and all participants must have a current Seminole recreation card to participate, a change from previous years.
Children attending the first Freaky Friday will need to bring swimsuits, towels and a change of clothes.
The kids' night out program may be as enjoyable for parents as it is for the kids. Parents are sometimes dressed for an evening on the town when they drop their children off for a night of fun, said Tara Boyle, the event's organizer.
"So we extended the wrap-up time so that parents can pick their kids up at 11 p.m.," Boyle said.
Dates and themes for upcoming Freaky Fridays include a Halloween "Welcome to Hauntsville" evening on Oct. 6 ; Nov. 3 will be the "Pajama-rama," and a holiday-themed Santa's Little Helpers program is scheduled for Dec. 1.
Seminole's 10th annual Music in the Park series kicks off at 7 p.m. Sept. 8 at Seminole City Park, 7464 Ridge Road, with a country music performance by Wiley Fox. For more information on the outdoor concert event, visit the city of Seminole's Web site at http://220.127.116.11/.
* * *
Fall activities at the Seminole Community Library, 9200 113th St. N, include:
* The Library Youth Advisory Board meets at 7 p.m. Sept. 7 and 21.
* The Friday afternoon Classic Movie Matinee for adults starts Sept. 8 with a 1 p.m. screening of Lover Come Back. Other films for September are Father of the Bride on Sept. 15, The Cheyenne Social Club on Sept. 22 and Send Me No Flowers on Sept. 29.
* The Family Movie Series is scheduled for Saturdays at 2 p.m. with screenings of films appropriate for all ages. Refreshments will be provided. Films scheduled for September: Lilo & Stitch on Sept. 9, The Adventures of Milo and Otis on Sept. 16, Valiant on Sept. 23, and Free Willy on Sept. 30.
* The Booktalkers Book Discussion Group will meet at 2 p.m. Sept. 6 to discuss Eudora Welty's novel The Optimist's Daughters.
* The Great Books Discussion Group will meet at 2 p.m. Sept. 20 to discuss Shakespeare's Othello.
* Musician Rich Rayner will perform at 3 p.m. Sept. 10 during an event called Sunday Musicale. Rayner will play a variety of popular music on the piano and the piano accordian.
News for the Seminole Neighborhood Notebook may be e-mailed to SPTimeslistings@ yahoo.com, or mailed to Lorrie Lykins, Seminole Neighborhood Notebook, P.O. Box 4954, Seminole, FL 33775.