St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message
 

Five found dead in Miami-Dade home

It appears all five - three adults and two children - died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Authorities say it could be accidental or a murder-suicide plot.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published August 28, 2006


MIAMI - The bodies of five people, including two children, were found inside a home in southwestern Miami-Dade County on Sunday, and a preliminary investigation indicated that each victim died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The body of one adult, a woman, was found in a sport utility vehicle still running in the garage, police said. Officers found four other bodies - two children and two adults - inside the four-bedroom structure located in a cluster of newly built homes.

Police said they were still determining if the deaths were accidental or part of a murder-suicide plot.

The identities and ages of the victims were not immediately released, pending notification of other family members, Miami-Dade police spokeswoman Nelda Fonticiella said, adding that detectives had to let the fumes escape from the home before being able to begin their investigation.

"Oh my God," said Feliza Thomas, who lives in a home just behind the one where the family was found. "Their children were very young. They had a little white dog. We would say hello to each other all the time. They never messed with anybody."

A relative of the victims had not heard from the family in two days and, upon getting no response at the door, called police to investigate, Fonticiella said.

Carlotta Loero, who lives next door to the scene, said the family was polite but tended to keep to itself. "It appeared that maybe they didn't like associating with the neighbors too much, so we gave them their space," said Loero.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common type of accidental poisoning nationwide, contributing to 40,000 emergency room visits annually in the United States. Each year, the odorless gas is responsible for about 500 accidental deaths and is used in about 2,000 suicides, according to government figures.

[Last modified August 28, 2006, 01:53:24]


Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT