St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message

Former Times reporter Tim Roche dies

Published September 8, 2006

Tim Roche

Timothy Roche, a dogged reporter whose jail term for protecting a source led to a change in state law, and who later distinguished himself at the St. Petersburg Times and Time magazine, died Friday (Sept. 8, 2006) after suffering multiple strokes. He was 38.

Mr. Roche became ill last week while visiting friends in the Tampa Bay area. He was treated for several days at St. Joseph’s Hospital before transferring to LifePath Hospice in Temple Terrace.

Mr. Roche began writing for newspapers while he was still in high school, and by 2002 he was Time’s bureau chief in Atlanta, supervising a dozen other writers. He was known as a journalist’s journalist — hard-working, thorough and caring.

“He was our best investigative reporter,’’ said Howard Chua-Eoan, news director at Time. “He had a way of sticking to a story almost obsessively.’’

Alta Chenault, Mr. Roche’s mother, said he took a serious approach to life soon after entering school in Hobbs, N.M., a small town close to the Texas border.

When he was 7 or 8, he set up a pretend office in his bedroom, with a big table, a phone that didn’t work and invoices and other office supplies he bought with his allowance.

He wanted to be a lawyer - until an uncle told him all lawyers were crooks. At 16, Mr. Roche began freelancing for the American in Odessa, Texas, and KOAT-Channel 7 in Albuquerque. One big story he covered for the TV station concerned a local rancher who was starving his cattle, his mother said. Mr. Roche wasn’t driving yet, so his stepfather drove him to the interview.

Despite his age, he was not afraid to talk to anyone he needed for a story.

“I remember one time I went into his room to talk to him,’’ his mother recalled, “and he said, “Not now, mother, I’m talking to the governor.’ ”

After high school, Mr. Roche worked at the Fort Worth Star Telegram, KMID-Channel 2 in Midland, Texas, and the Hollywood Sun-Tattler in South Florida.

Mr. Roche had a knack for persuading people to talk to him. He knew how to get nearly anyone to open up, from public officials to everyday citizens suddenly thrust into the limelight.

In 1990, while working at the Stuart paper, Mr. Roche wrote stories about a 3-year-old girl named Crystal McGrath who was beaten to death.

Five months before her death, state social workers opened an investigation into possible abuse, but no state worker ever saw the girl. Roche’s stories cast a glaring light on the system’s failures.

When the girl’s mother got out of jail, she sought to regain custody of the girl’s infant sister, Charlotte May Puffinberger. In a closed hearing, a judge terminated the mother’s rights and allowed the infant to be adopted, then sealed the order from public view. But someone showed it to Mr. Roche, who wrote a story quoting parts of the order.

Although the infant’s former foster mother and court-appointed guardian said Mr. Roche’s coverage of the case may have saved Charlotte’s life, prosecutors went after him. When he refused to name who gave him the sealed order, he was found in contempt of court and sentenced to jail. After he was sentenced, fingerprinted, photographed and bailed out pending appeal, he went straight back to work.

By 1993, though, he had exhausted his appeals, and then-Gov. Lawton Chiles refused to pardon him, so off to jail he went.

“I’m not trying to be a hero,’’ Roche said at the time. “I was just doing my damn job.”

Mr. Roche served 18 days of a 30-day sentence.

Other Florida reporters had been sentenced in similar cases, but Mr. Roche was the first to actually serve time. The Legislature later passed a law in his honor giving reporters some protection in such cases.

Just before he was jailed, Mr. Roche was hired by the St. Petersburg Times. He worked there from 1993 through 1998, at first covering Tarpon Springs and later the St. Petersburg police beat.

After a 1996 police shooting during a traffic stop led to widespread racial disturbances, Mr. Roche analyzed 9,000 police records and showed that police were three times more likely to stop black residents than white residents for random questioning. He also worked with another reporter to carefully reconstruct how the shooting occurred, poring over witness statements, firing an identical gun and even sitting in the same car seat where the victim was killed.

His longtime fascination with a murder victim known only as “Jane Doe I-275” finally culminated in a story identifying a woman who had been missing for eight years.

Among his Times colleagues, Mr. Roche is probably best remembered for The Question.

The paper got a tip that there was something suspicious about a fire at a luxury waterfront home in Tierra Verde owned by a minister named Rev. Henry Lyons, who was president of the National Baptist Convention USA.

Roche called the minister’s wife, Deborah Lyons, who told him she started the fire accidentally when she dropped a match while lighting a cigarette. Mr. Roche, ever a stickler for detail, asked: “What brand were you smoking?’’  When Mrs. Lyons couldn’t answer, Mr. Roche knew he was onto a story.

Mrs. Lyons had actually set the fire in a jealous rage when she learned her husband was having an affair with a staffer of the National Baptist Convention. Subsequent reporting by Mr. Roche and other Times staffers revealed that Lyons and his mistress were involved in numerous financial irregularities involving the convention.

Lyons was eventually sentenced to five years in prison for racketeering and grand theft. His mistress, Bernice Edwards, pleaded guilty to tax evasion for failing to report more than $500,000 in income and was sentenced to 21 months in prison.

The Times’ staff was selected as a finalist for investigative reporting in the Pulitzer Prize competition.

Mr. Roche sometimes butted heads with editors over how to write and pursue stories he cared about, but his dedication to getting the most accurate story was never in question.

“He would just dig, dig, dig for answers and try to do the right thing,’’ recalled Times lifestyles editor Sherry Robinson, who was Roche’s editor 10 years ago. “I think that’s what you are looking for in a good reporter and a good person.’’

After leaving the Times, Mr. Roche became a magazine reporter known for landing major scoops.

After the Columbine High School shootings in 1999, Mr. Roche persuaded a Colorado sheriff to let him view homemade videotapes where the two teenaged shooters described their plans and motivations. His story made the cover of Time.

After Houston’s Andrea Yates drowned her five children, Mr. Roche persuaded her husband to talk for hours about their marriage, which provided early insight into her psychology.

In his last story for Time in 2002, Mr. Roche painstakenly recreated the life of John Lindh, an American arrested for fighting with the Taliban in Afghanistan.

“It showed (Lindh’s) life in San Francisco and how he met up with the Muslims who converted him,’’ Chua-Eoan said. “It was an amazing story.’’

Although he had become Time’s southern bureau chief in Atlanta, a visit to San Francisco while researching the Lindh story convinced him to move there and work on a book. He resigned from Time in 2002, and most recently was running a social advocacy group for people in need.

His closest companion was Jake, an Irish setter mix who traveled everywhere with his master. A friend from San Francisco will now care for Jake.

Mr. Roche is survived by his mother and sister Neda Burrows, both of Hobbs, half-brothers Jeff, Joe and Mark Roche, all of Florida and half-sister Lisa Roche, of Florida. Funeral arrangements are pending.

Times staff writers Alisa Ulferts and Craig Pittman contributed to this story.


[Last modified September 8, 2006, 18:56:31]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters