St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message

More briefs

Briefs and news of note.

By Times Staff
Published September 9, 2006

Police investigating death of infant

LARGO - Police were investigating the suspicious death of a newborn whom officers found at a home Friday night.

Officers were called to 368 5th St. NW about 10:15 p.m. by someone who urged them to check on the welfare of a woman and a baby at the home, police Sgt. K.R. Goswick said.

There they found an infant dead in a bedroom, Goswick said. The baby probably had been dead a matter of hours, Goswick said.

The woman, who may have been in her 40s, was taken to Morton Plant Hospital to be evaluated. Police were talking to two young men who were also at the house.

The child's gender was not available, nor were details about how the infant may have died or whether the woman at the home was the child's mother.

No arrests had been made.

2-year-old drowns in family's pool

TAMPA - A toddler drowned Thursday evening after she crawled through a dog door at her family's South Tampa home and fell into a swimming pool, police said.

Bailey Carter, 2, had been asleep in the living room of the home, 4726 W Wyoming Ave., police said. The girl's 5-year-old brother was watching television with her, and Bailey's mother, Ailsa Rodriguez, 26, was in another room.

When Rodriguez came into the living room to check on Bailey, the toddler was gone.

After searching the home, the family found Bailey floating in the pool just after 8:30 p.m. Police officers performed CPR and tried to revive Bailey. She died that evening at Tampa General Hospital.

31 arrested in immigration raid

ST. PETERSBURG - Immigration officials arrested 31 workers from a cleaning company at Tropicana Field this week. Officials from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agreed not to publicize the raid because representatives of Tropicana Field cooperated, said ICE spokeswoman Pam McCullough.

McCullough said she was not sure where ICE received its information about the cleaning crew members who worked for Knight FM. Most of those arrested during Wednesday's raid were taken to the Pinellas County Jail to be charged with possession and use of fraudulent documents. The other six are awaiting deportation.

Most were Mexicans. Others were from Guatemala.

Richard Vaughn, vice president of communications for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, issued a written statement:

"The individuals who were arrested were employed by subcontractors working for the stadium cleaning contractor and are not Devil Rays employees. We have pledged to give the authorities our full cooperation in this matter."

Knight FM did not return a phone message.

[Last modified September 9, 2006, 05:46:51]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters