Newborn taken; suspect sought
By TIMES WIRES
Published September 17, 2006
LONEDELL, Mo. - State and federal investigators kept up the search Saturday for a woman who allegedly walked into a rural home, told a young mother, "I'm here to take your child," then slashed the mother's throat and left with her 1-week-old baby.
Franklin County Sheriff Gary Toelke said authorities had some good leads in their search for the attacker and the baby, Abby Woods, but "nothing has headed us in a certain direction."
The child's mother said she did not know her attacker, police said. Stephanie Ochsenbine, 21, was in stable condition Saturday following surgery.
The FBI, Missouri State Highway Patrol and the Missouri National Guard were helping with the investigation, Toelke said.
New arrest in alleged Columbine-style plot
GREEN BAY, Wis. - Police have arrested a third person in connection with an alleged Columbine-style plan to bomb and shoot students at a high school, investigators said Saturday.
Two 17-year-olds were arrested Thursday at East High School after a student went to an associate principal. A detective said Friday that one boy wanted to enact the plan Thursday but the other talked him out of it.
Bradley P. Netwel, 18, was arrested Friday and faces charges of conspiracy to commit homicide and conspiracy to commit arson, according to police.
Police learned from interviews that Netwel, a former student at the school and a friend of the 17-year-olds, participated in the planning, police said.
William C. Cornell and Shawn R. Sturtz were arrested Thursday. Brown County District Attorney John Zakowski said he planned to file formal charges Thursday.
Court Commissioner Jane Sequin ordered Cornell and Sturtz jailed on $500,000 bail Friday, and the three were being held in the Brown County Jail. Netwel was scheduled to make an initial court appearance Monday.
Letters threaten random shootings in New Mexico
LAS CRUCES, N.M. - Police warned Las Cruces residents that they have received two letters threatening random shootings if city leaders fail to hand over a "substantial" ransom.
Police had received information from the public Saturday but there had been no break in the case, Lt. Randy Lara said.
"Someone knows something out there, and hopefully this will generate more information for the case," he said.
The city received the second of two threatening letters Friday, but police released little information about the demand. They did say the demand called for a "substantial amount."
On Friday, Lara said he didn't want to alarm residents but he urged them to watch for any suspicious activity.
"The letter did reference that Las Cruces residents will be shot at random if the city didn't comply with the extortion," Lara said.
The letter - the second sent to the city in recent weeks - was hand written with an unusual style of printing.
Authorities were taking the threat seriously, Lara said, but said officials don't know the intentions of the writer.
"Frankly we still don't know if we are dealing with a hoax or not," Lara said Saturday. "But after the second correspondence we felt it was necessary to go ahead and put the information out there - with the caveat that people should still go about their daily business."
[Last modified September 17, 2006, 01:23:56]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]