Oregon rally stuns Sooners

Published September 17, 2006

EUGENE, Ore. - Dennis Dixon and Oregon rallied for two touchdowns in the final 72 seconds - with help from a disputed onside kick - and the Ducks blocked a field goal on the final play to seal a wild 34-33 victory over No. 15 Oklahoma on Saturday.

Dixon's 16-yard keeper with 1:12 left brought the 18th-ranked Ducks within 33-27 and set up the onside kick.

The Ducks recovered the bouncing kick on their 48, but Oklahoma argued that an Oregon player touched the ball before it went the required 10 yards, which would have given the Sooners possession. Officials delayed play for an instant replay review, but the call stood and Dixon went to work.

After a pass-interference call on Oklahoma, Dixon threw a 23-yard touchdown to Brian Paysinger with 46 seconds left to give Oregon the lead.

Oklahoma wasn't done, though, as Reggie Smith returned a squib kick 55 yards to the Ducks 27.

With no timeouts the Sooners ran one play, a run into the line by Adrian Peterson, then spiked the ball with a second left. But Garrett Hartley's 44-yard kick wasn't high enough to clear the line and the Ducks celebrated.

Oregon had jumped out to an early lead, but Peterson's 17-yard touchdown run early in the fourth quarter put Oklahoma ahead 27-20. Peterson finished with 211 yards on 34 carries, including 145 yards in the fourth quarter.

Dixon was 26-for-41 for 341 yards and two touchdowns. He was intercepted twice. Jonathan Stewart had 23 carries for 144 yards.

Stewart scored on a short dash on Oregon's first series, then the teams traded field goals.

The Sooners got to the Oregon 2 late in the first half, but they were charged with a pair of false-start penalties and holding. Oklahoma settled for Hartley's 20-yard field goal to narrow it to 10-6.

A 38-yard field goal by Paul Martinez hit the crossbar and bounced between the uprights to make it 13-6 at halftime.

Paul Thompson's 1-yard keeper tied it at 13 in the third quarter. He finished 13-for-23 for 174 yards.

Despite Stewart's gains, his fumble in the third quarter led to a momentum shift. On the series after the turnover, Thompson tossed to receiver Malcolm Kelly, who juggled the ball before sprinting for what appeared to be a 73-yard touchdown.

But after a review, it was determined that Kelly stepped out at the Oklahoma 47.

Thompson went back to Kelly for a 31-yard touchdown pass to make it 20-13.

The Ducks tied it again in the fourth quarter with Dixon's 30-yard pass to Jaison Williams.

Hartley added field goals from 20 and 22 yards in the final quarter for the Sooners before the Ducks staged their comeback.

Wash. State 17, Baylor 15: Quarterback Alex Brink caught a third-quarter touchdown pass and Loren Langley kicked a 17-yard field goal with 9 seconds left the Cougars in Seattle. Trailing 15-14 with 5:04 left, Brink, who finished 21-for-32 for 251 yards, directed a 14-play, 81-yard drive, capped by Langley's first field goal of the season. The junior was 0-for-2 previously. Baylor had only 68 yards of offense in the second half and quarterback Shawn Bell was sacked five times.