St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message
 

Brazil says no survivorsamong 155 on airliner

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published October 2, 2006


BRASILIA, Brazil - Authorities said Sunday there were no survivors among the 155 people aboard the Brazilian jetliner that crashed deep in the Amazon jungle in the nation's worst air disaster, as rescue workers began pulling bodies out of the twisted wreckage.

Aviation officials have said the Boeing 737-800 and a smaller executive jet apparently clipped each other in midair Friday, causing Gol airlines Flight 1907 to crash in jungle so dense that crews had to cut down trees to clear a space for rescue helicopters to land.

The smaller plane - carrying Americans - safely landed at a nearby air force base.

The Brazilian air force said in a statement that rescue workers had combed through the wreckage and found no signs that anyone could have survived the crash. Rescue workers had recovered two bodies by Sunday night and airlifted them out by helicopter, the statement said.

Gol airlines, which operated the flight, confirmed there were no survivors in its own release.

The list of passengers on the commercial jet was not released, and it wasn't clear if any foreigners were aboard.

The Globo news agency said Sunday that police questioned the seven passengers and crew aboard the executive jet, which had been headed to the United States.

Brazil's deadliest airplane crash before Friday was in 1982 when a Boeing 727 operated by the now-defunct Vasp airline went down in the northeastern city of Fortaleza, killing 137 people.

CANADIAN COLLAPSE: Quebec's government said Sunday it would launch a public inquiry to determine why an overpass collapsed north of Montreal on Saturday, crushing five people to death.

[Last modified October 2, 2006, 01:32:08]


Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT