Tigers' big rally sinks Deacons

Published October 8, 2006

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - C.J. Spiller ran 72 yards for the go-ahead touchdown as No. 15 Clemson rallied from 14 points down in the fourth for a 27-17 win over Wake Forest on Saturday. The Tigers avoided a third straight loss at Groves Stadium.

"Two years in a row here, playing in this stadium, it brings us trouble," defensive lineman Gaines Adams said. "Everything was going their way the first half and partially the second half, but we kept fighting."

On the first play of the fourth quarter, Wake was poised to take a 20-3 lead when Sam Swank lined up for a 42-yard field goal. But holder Jon Temple had trouble handling the snap, so he pulled the ball up and tried to run. Almost immediately, Adams burst through the line and leveled him at the 34. The ball popped into the air, Adams snatched it and ran 66 yards for a touchdown.

Riley Skinner fumbled on the Deacons' next possession. Five plays later, Will Proctor tied it with a 20-yard pass to Aaron Kelly. Spiller then put Clemson ahead when he took a handoff at the 28, ran through Chip Vaughn's tackle and sprinted down the right sideline into the end zone.

"He had fresh legs," Clemson coach Tommy Bowden said. "He's a sprinter, and when he got into the second level, there was no catching him."

Spiller ran for 104 yards for the Tigers, who denied the Demon Deacons their first 6-0 start since 1944.

"We played well enough for three quarters," Wake coach Jim Grobe said; "and then played poorly in every area in the fourth quarter."

No. 18 Georgia Tech 27, Maryland 23

ATLANTA - Tashard Choice rushed for a career-high 138 yards and two touchdowns for the Jackets.

The Terps led 23-14 after three before committing two turnovers. After quarterback Reggie Ball's 8-yard run got Tech to 23-21, Lance Ball lost a fumble at the Maryland 17 with 11:05 left. That set up Choice's 15-yard go-ahead touchdown. Maryland then drove deep into Tech territory before Sam Hollenbach's fourth-and-2 pass from the 41 was intercepted by Kenny Scott.

Tech's Travis Bell missed two field goals, including a 31-yarder that hit the left upright with 3:23 left.

A 57-yard catch and run by Darrius Heyward-Bey, helped when cornerback Jahi Word-Daniels slipped, got the Terps to the Tech 7. Two runs gained only 2 yards. Then Hollenbach was called for intentional grounding. On fourth and 19, Michael Johnson got a sack to seal it.

E. Carolina 31, Virginia 21: Brandon Fractious rushed for 102 yards and had one of the host Pirates' four rushing touchdowns. Down 24-7 at halftime, the Cavaliers' Ben Parziale blocked a punt to give them the ball at the Pirates 17. That set up Jason Snelling's touchdown run. But East Carolina sealed it on punter Ryan Dougherty's 2-yard touchdown run off a fake field goal with 2:17 left.

BOSTON COLLEGE: Kicker Ryan Ohliger was suspended indefinitely for an undisclosed violation.