Pinellas super seven
By Times Staff
Published October 15, 2006
1. LARGO 7-0: The Packers had a bit of a scare before rolling to their seventh straight victory. Largo should cruise through next two games before facing Osceola in season finale.
2. DUNEDIN (6-1): Huge win against Countryside gives the Falcons a clear advantage toward winning the district and hosting a playoff game for the first since the late 1980s.
3. NORTHEAST (6-1): The Vikings are in the driver's seat for the district title, especially since they beat Bradenton Southeast last month. Big matchups next two weeks against Boca Ciega and Osceola.
4. OSCEOLA (6-1): The Warriors knocked off Lakewood and can clinch a playoff spot with a win against Southeast this week. If that happens and Northeast wins, the two will play each other in two weeks for the district title.
5. EAST LAKE (5-2): The Eagles are flying under the radar and are still in contention for a playoff berth. To do that, East Lake must knock off PHU and Countryside.
6. KESWICK CHR. (6-1): Though they lost their biggest game of the season last week, the Crusaders bounced back to beat Bishop McLaughlin and clinch the runnerup spot in their district.
7. COUNTRYSIDE (6-2): The crippled Cougars are reeling, losing two straight at home by a combined eight points. Unless Countryside can get its running game going, the free fall will continue.
WEEK 8 NOTABLES
Luke Loucks, Clearwater: A school-record 402 yards passing and four touchdowns.
Chris Sackmann, Clearwater: 14 receptions, 254 yards, one touchdown.
Vince Hollingsworth, Dunedin: Recorded an interception and nine tackles, including one on a potential game-tying two-point conversion.
Jock Sanders, SPC: More than 200 yards rushing and two touchdowns, including 98-yard run.
Justin Hart, Osceola: 132 yards rushing, one touchdown.
Joel Elliott, Northeast: One touchdown reception and interception returned for touchdown.
Jeff Brinson, Northeast: 145 yards rushing, three touchdowns.
Matthew Cabassa, Gibbs: 123 all-purpose yards, two touchdowns.
Marquise Gamble, Tarpon Springs: Touchdowns on a kickoff return, run and interception.
Cody Sirgey, Northside Chr.: Scored four touchdowns: two rushing, one in the air and the other off a blocked punt.
Jamie Center, Calvary Chr.: 108 yards rushing, two touchdowns.
Jeff Ijjas, CCC: Kicked field goals of 40 and 42 yards to lift Marauders.
THIS WEEK'S GAMES
All start Friday at 7:30 p.m.
Osceola at Bradenton Southeast
PHU at East Lake
Northeast at Boca Ciega
Clearwater at Dunedin
St. Petersburg at Largo
Pinellas Park at Dixie Hollins
Gibbs at Seminole
Lakewood at Bradenton Bayshore
Tarpon Springs at Ridgewood
Northside Chr. at Lakeland Chr.
Lakeland Victory Chr. at Calvary Chr.
Shorecrest at Gateway Charter
Lake City Chr. at Admiral Farragut
Avon Park at CC Catholic
Fort Meade at IRC
Mulberry at SPC
ON THE WEB
Want to check out other Tampa Bay area football scores after the game? Pose a question for one of our prep writers? Sound off in response to one of our county-by-county writers' blogs? Recognize Top Performers for the month? View behind-the-scene video reports? For this and more, check out our new high school sports blog at http://blogs.tampabay.com/preps/.
SEND US YOUR PHOTOS
Have a great photo from a game that you'd like to share with online readers? Take a picture or video with your camera phone or digital camera and e-mail to it to email@example.com Your subject line becomes the title of the photo and the body of your message becomes the caption. Files must be JPEGs and less than 700K in size. Photo galleries will be linked from the high school sports page on tampabay.com.
- TIMES STAFF