St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message
 

Unfortunately, kid can work lighter

By Helen Anne Travis and Michael A. Mohammed
Published October 20, 2006


ADVERTISEMENT

Four-year-old Arron Cosme was searching for his kitten, Smokey, Thursday morning. He found his way past his mother's locked bedroom door, picked up a combination flashlight/lighter gadget, and crawled under the bed.

He turned it on, and light came out. Light, and fire.

As he ran out of the room, the bedspread started to burn.

By the time he alerted his aunt and her boyfriend, the whole bedroom was on fire. At least, that's the story Arron's mother, Melissa Cosme, pieced together afterward. She had been at work, and left her five children in her sister's care.

Cosme said she was mystified at how Arron could have ignited the lighter, even if he did it on purpose.

"Even I have a hard time lighting it," she said.

Cosme added she was sure she had locked her bedroom door but thinks her sister's boyfriend taught Arron to pick the lock. Cosme raced home to find her house smoldering.

Everyone in the house made it out, and firefighters put out the blaze in the bedroom, where it caused about $2,000 worth of damage.

Investigators said Smokey died, probably from asphyxiation.

 

[Last modified October 20, 2006, 01:30:02]


Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT